VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

Passat 1.9tdi pd AVB dies after 10min running and doesn't start. Runs when return line clamped.

14K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  celtjon 
The tandem pump has a fuel pressure regulator that fails. Look it up and see how to replace it.
Something like this is what I'm finding

One for a 2013, not sure about you're specifically

Theres a fuel return valve on tandem pump which should keep pressure at 14-15psi so obviously its not working or pressure is leaking somewhere else because when return line is pressed together engine starts to run normally almost instantly.
I think you should put a new one in. Not sure if it's the one I posted before, I just searched for the engine and pressure regulator. Fuel return valve as you call it is what I read talking about in the first place and searching have me the results I found before.

Do you know what the one you have looks like? Is it like this Genuine VW/Audi VW-06D130757C Fuel Pressure Regulator; Inline Restrictor SKU: 1433187-VW-06D130757C - Audi, VW | 06D130757C

This is a decent little video on a 2004 Jetta, different car but a PD. Test should be similar. I lean towards the return valve either way, however, it could be two fold.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Here's a post on one

So the rebuild kits I've seen should have two springs for the inlet and return valves. Those springs wear and fail causing the valve to let to much fuel through. I haven't been able to find a valve, so I assume that you simply need to rebuild it, or replace the pump. Rebuild is much cheaper. I think the pressure test could be effected by the springs being worn and not holding pressure giving a false reading of the lift pump.
Also I ordered a URO lift pump from fcp euro I think it was, for around $100...

There's a fuel pressure regulator you need to check. First check the fuel pressure to the rail at the tandem pump.

You should always start a new thread and link the thread you find with information related to yours. However, I'm not sure the above thread will help you much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.