VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the "yoke" that attaches the lever rod to the cables always level? The picture in the "1001" shows it this way, but my cables seem to be different lengths. My parking brake linkage popped apart a couple of weeks ago and just again on Wednesday. When I first reconnected the parts, the pass. side cable seemed to be about an inch longer than the driver's side. The yoke seems to be able to take a fair amount of cable length difference. The adjusting nut doesn't seem to be backing off. Original calipers, new pads and rotors installed last summer. No indication of trouble, it just popped off. Both cables seem intact, I can see them move the calipers when operated.
Any ideas?
Thanks, Tom

·
Registered
51 Posts
It could be if the cables or pads aren't wearing level. The yoke takes up the difference. One of the cables could be stretched too. There's a locking nut that could be missing in addition to the adjusting nut. If it popped off then the locking nut is somewhere in there.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I think there are 2 nuts, one to adjust and one to lock it. If you have a magnet on a rod you could fish around that area to see if it fell off.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Is the "yoke" that attaches the lever rod to the cables always level? The picture in the "1001" shows it this way, but my cables seem to be different lengths. My parking brake linkage popped apart a couple of weeks ago and just again on Wednesday. When I first reconnected the parts, the pass. side cable seemed to be about an inch longer than the driver's side. The yoke seems to be able to take a fair amount of cable length difference. The adjusting nut doesn't seem to be backing off. Original calipers, new pads and rotors installed last summer. No indication of trouble, it just popped off. Both cables seem intact, I can see them move the calipers when operated.
Any ideas?
Thanks, Tom
I finally got around to trying to adjust my parking brake which was not holding the car, even on the slightest of slopes. Having arrived at the adjusting nut adjacent to the handbrake I find that the yoke lies at almost 45 degrees to the norm. giving the impression that the drivers side cable is longer than the passengers side. I am sure that the cables are identical lengths but how can I get the yoke to sit square. Is there an sdjustment at the caliper end that will overcome the problem?
Under the present situation it feels as if the passenger side caliper is biting much harder than the drivers side which might be caused by the, aparrent, uneven pull on the cables.
Help please. VW Bora Highline. 2005

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
I find that the yoke lies at almost 45 degrees to the norm. giving the impression that the drivers side cable is longer than the passengers side. I am sure that the cables are identical lengths but how can I get the yoke to sit square. Is there an sdjustment at the caliper end that will overcome the problem?
Under the present situation it feels as if the passenger side caliper is biting much harder than the drivers side which might be caused by the, aparrent, uneven pull on the cables.
Sounds like the driver's side parking brake automatic adjustment mechanism isn't working. Thus, as your pads wear down over time under normal hydraulic braking, the parking brake plunger on the driver's side gets further and further away from the actual caliper piston. This would result in the driver's side brake lever having more play in it and thus appearing "longer"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts