VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone drove my car and now the parking brake won't engage because the button is stuck down. I can feel some resistance on it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Parking brake

Are you sure the button is stuck? This happened on my car also but it was actually just the plastic sleeve that covers the brake handle. It slips up the handle and covers the button so it appears depressed and doesn't allow you to push it in. Make sure you shove the cover all the way down and back before you do anything else. I think it should be secured there with some sort of snap but I think mine may have cracked. Good luck!

Jonathan

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
If you can feel resistance the p-brake is fine, if you have pliers, see if the button can come out. They probably jammed the button in.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After a nice talk and adjustment, it is working properly. Yes, it makes sense that the cable is working if you feel resistance but you really don't think about it when it's not working.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Also, don't put WD-40 on it since it might damage the plastic. Some soap or light grease that's safe for plastic should prevent it in the future!

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
2nd, solvents can melt the plastic and make it even worse. You could also try removing the handle and sanding it down slightly to give more clearance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts