VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I installed a MFSW today on my '09 JSW after consulting the how-to FAQ on this site and VWVortex. The good news is that it's coded and works perfectly (I had to replace the control module and airbag harness, but that's another story).

The bad news is that after reconnecting the battery, I can't get the sunroof to close. I left it in the tilt position while I was working on the car. Naturally it was in this position when I reconnected the battery.

I've started and stopped the motor, let it sit for a while, and driven around town but it still doesn't work. The sunshade works perfectly.

I could take it to the dealer but since I'm the one who fiddled around with the car it probably won't be covered under the warranty.

Anyone have a clue on how to fix it, or at least tilt it back down? I looked in the owner's manual and, surprise, it is useless! There are no directions on how to manually close the roof.

I can't figure out where the motor is. I thought it might be under the switch and headliner up front but after taking that area apart I think I found nothing more than the control module.

Here's the fault code I get:

Address 4F: Central Electr. II (J533)

[then some gobbly gook about part numbers and serial codes, I'm copying this from a PC to Mac on the internet]

01512 - Control Module for Sliding Roog
005 - No or Incorrect Basic Setting / Adaptation
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100101
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset Counter: 137
Mileage: 20875 km
Time indication: 0
Date: 2000:00:00
Time: 00:00:17

I would love to fix this before it rains. Any suggestions?! :dunno

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, there's no crank there. That's only on the sedan. For the JSW the manual tells you to go to the dealer and have them shut it for you!

I pulled the rear roof panel off and peered under the headliner in back behind the hatch. The sunroof motor is there but there's no way to really reach it without taking the whole headliner off which I wasn't about to attempt. Also, disconnecting and reconnecting the battery didn't help.

Finally, I reread the manual and discovered a feature the salesman never showed me when I bought the car.... tilt down. By grasping the knob and pulling it straight down to the floor, the sunroof tilted down shut. That was a real 'duuuh' moment when I realized it could do that.

Then I just closed and opened the sunroof and sunshade all the way to reset the pinch protection. Problem solved! :p

I'm loving my new MFSW! The result is great and it wasn't as hard to do as I thought it would be.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Great! What part number did you use for the steering wheel control module? No problems with the clockspring? The column stalk buttons still work right?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I love the way the new steering wheel feels. It really makes a difference

For the steering wheel control module I used part # 1K0 953 549 BK.
The wiring harness for the airbag was the single ignitor type. I used part # 1K0 971 584 C.

The coding I used was 0002022. I copied this from a guy on VWVortex who calls himself The Scotsman 1. According to him, this was coded by a mobile VW mechanic from New Jersey.

The buttons on the control stalk no longer work with this coding, although I don't really mind. I'm thinking of getting a new stalk without the buttons actually.

I took a chance and the clockspring works fine, no problems at all. I was sure not to touch or rotate it. The airbag made me really nervous. I didn't have a ground strap for my wrist so I was grabbing bare metal every three second and shielding my eyes in case it blew up!

Once the MFSW was working I was surprised to find out that I can control the radio preset and see the stations on the highline display. The star button mutes the radio and the phone button obviously does nothing since I don't have a bluetooth kit installed.

The steering wheel I bought off a guy from VWVortex came with a GTI badge. Right now I put the blank in since there's no TDI badge available. But I did notice that the GTI badge was manufactured in two pieces.

I manage to pry out the small GTI insert by pushing through from the opposite side with an awl. It's only held on by two sided adhesive tape and feels like die cast metal.

Too bad I don't know any die cast metal engravers!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It seems unbelievable, doesn't it.

According the owner's manual, you can close the regular sunroof in the sedan using an allen wrench (not provided by VW). If the panoramic sunroof won't close, the only suggestion is to get to a dealer.

I pulled the rear top panel off to find the motor and sure enough, it's under the headliner in back. There's no way to reach it without removing the headliner and there's no access hole.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
BTW, I have a right control stalk without the buttons. My part number is off an 06 and has no suffix. Your part number has the h version suffix. I believe the difference is the buttons but I'm not 100% sure if they're compatible so I'll sell cheap and if it doesn't work, return it for a refund -shipping cost.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
okay, send me a PM with the details.

How hard is this after removing the steering wheel. Do I have to remove the clockspring?

·
Registered
371 Posts
It seems unbelievable, doesn't it.

According the owner's manual, you can close the regular sunroof in the sedan using an allen wrench (not provided by VW). If the panoramic sunroof won't close, the only suggestion is to get to a dealer.

I pulled the rear top panel off to find the motor and sure enough, it's under the headliner in back. There's no way to reach it without removing the headliner and there's no access hole.
What if the battery is dead and it's raining?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts