VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys after extensive reading. cleaning and cussing I still cannot figure out why I have an intermittent CEL.
I have a 2004 Golf TDI PD with 185k miles. One day I was coasting down the highway and noticed that I had a CEL come on. I pulled over immediately checked all my fluids and everything seemed safe to continue driving. I made my way to the closest Autozone and tried reading the code, but as soon as I plugged the reader in, the CEL went away. About a week later it came back on. The code reader pulled P2413 EGR system performance. 1. Faulty EGR valve or 2. Blocked EGR passages. I thought this would be an easy win. I bought some cleaner and went home to remove the EGR. It was COVERED in carbon build up. Cleaned it all up and re-installed. That day the car ran like absolute garbage. (previously had no performance issues). The next morning I pulled the EGR and IMF (intake manifold flap) both off and cleaned them thoroughly. The CEL went off and performance returned to normal. 3 days later the light came back on! At this point I have become frustrated and just decided to drive it because its not having any performance issues. After 2 hours of DoorDash the light goes off... The next morning upon start up the light comes back on. So back to Autozone I went. I bought more cleaner and a MAF sensor cleaner. Cleaned all parts to perfection and re assembled. I drove the car to Autozone and reset the CEL. Performance was perfect and no engine lights. This morning the CEL came back on and throttle response was affected almost as the engine was stalling only intermittently. So...

Is the IMF only a 2 position valve? (aka no variation other than open or closed)
How does the ECU measure EGR performance? MAF or sensor position?
I have checked for boost leaks, and found none.
My IMF will partially close while pressing the throttle, is this normal?

I have attached pictures of my EGR and a video of the current function of the IMF. Remember both of these components are electronically controlled unlike the vacuum controlled components of the years prior.
20200930_103840.jpg
20200930_111338.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey guys after extensive reading. cleaning and cussing I still cannot figure out why I have an intermittent CEL.
I have a 2004 Golf TDI PD with 185k miles. One day I was coasting down the highway and noticed that I had a CEL come on. I pulled over immediately checked all my fluids and everything seemed safe to continue driving. I made my way to the closest Autozone and tried reading the code, but as soon as I plugged the reader in, the CEL went away. About a week later it came back on. The code reader pulled P2413 EGR system performance. 1. Faulty EGR valve or 2. Blocked EGR passages. I thought this would be an easy win. I bought some cleaner and went home to remove the EGR. It was COVERED in carbon build up. Cleaned it all up and re-installed. That day the car ran like absolute garbage. (previously had no performance issues). The next morning I pulled the EGR and IMF (intake manifold flap) both off and cleaned them thoroughly. The CEL went off and performance returned to normal. 3 days later the light came back on! At this point I have become frustrated and just decided to drive it because its not having any performance issues. After 2 hours of DoorDash the light goes off... The next morning upon start up the light comes back on. So back to Autozone I went. I bought more cleaner and a MAF sensor cleaner. Cleaned all parts to perfection and re assembled. I drove the car to Autozone and reset the CEL. Performance was perfect and no engine lights. This morning the CEL came back on and throttle response was affected almost as the engine was stalling only intermittently. So...

Is the IMF only a 2 position valve? (aka no variation other than open or closed)
How does the ECU measure EGR performance? MAF or sensor position?
I have checked for boost leaks, and found none.
My IMF will partially close while pressing the throttle, is this normal?

I have attached pictures of my EGR and a video of the current function of the IMF. Remember both of these components are electronically controlled unlike the vacuum controlled components of the years prior.
View attachment 8671
View attachment 8670
Please call me or text me if you have any questions/advice 817-673-7354

·
Premium Member
9,674 Posts
First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Forum Rules and Guidelines

This is a new forum layout which is owned by a company last year that doesn't give a dam with loads of bugs which have been reported in the new thread. There is no TDI Wiki at the moment or original similes which they refuse to install. It doesn't show the car spec/location.

Add your car specs to your signature that will show on every post you make.

Car spec now shows not for all members.

Myturbodiesel moving on

Release Notes

We Are Live - Community Feedback

This has been talked about many times.

I've made a poll which no one has posted in, there are a few votes and comments.

Do you like the new forum features?

Wiki pages have been restored as of 7th December, I asked where is the link it should be on top of the main forum.

VAG Error Code: 009235/18895

EOBD II Error Code: P2413

Fault Location:
Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) System - Performance Malfunction

Possible Cause:
Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.

Hoses blocked/leaking.
Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) solenoid.
Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve.

Possible Solutions:
Check hoses/connections.
Number of learning points at fuel mass adaptation limit > or = to 4. At upper limit = 6 mg/stroke. At lower limit = -6 mg/stroke.

As taken from my new Free EOBD II Error Codes software

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
That DIY is not for the PD engines. You probably have a BRM or BEW. Look around YouTube for how-tos. View a few of them before you dig in; some are better than others.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all that have replied so far!
Since the above post, I took the car on a small 250 mile road trip and on the way there the car went into complete limp mode, I would call it. Zero turbo spool, and no boost lead to a slow car barely able to reach 70 mph.
There was a blown fuse at F34 or which controls the throttle body and a couple other systems. Replaced the fuse and it was back on the road with boost, but still a CEL.
I replaced the throttle body(IMF or ASV whatever) with a new one, but still had the codes!
Drove the car another 100 miles without performance issues other than shuddering when turning the engine off. (A feature of the throttle body) and with th engine codes as follows:
P2102, P2108 along with the P2413 I had originally.
This morning I looked closely for electrical issues and found this. Resized_20201016_074834.jpeg
With a short amount of time this morning I picked up a new connector from VW (that didn't come with terminals or the rubber isolators) I ran out of time to replace the connection. I took electrical tape and isolated the broken wires from each other and reconnected everything. Now I only have the code P2413...
The plan is to rebuild this connection when time allows and fingers crossed it will take care of the EGR code on its own.

Any advice/criticism is wanted!
Travis

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
KeithUK thank you for your reply.
My EGR is electronically controlled I have removed it and cleaned it thoroughly. What other hoses/connections do you recommend I clean or inspect? All of the intercooler and turbo lines appear to be intact.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
David thank you! I did purchase a cheap OBD2 scanner in the process of all this. The VCDS system seems so nice! I will have to get one soon! But for now the $35 one I'm using will have to do until I can purchase the $200 VCDS.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will definitely look around some more! Thanks! I will update when I can.

·
Super Moderator
VW Jetta TDI Mk5 2005.5 BRM
26 Posts
As @PeterAFox mentioned, your intake manifold is likely carboned up as well. My first Mk4 had that issue, it didn't cause me a CEL, but it took me about 60 seconds to go zero to sixty, so I'd suggest taking a look at that as well (though it won't solve your CEL).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So here's the latest update. The connection at the throttle body was shorting out due to bad wires which fried the throttle body. I replaced the throttle body and connectors and all codes are gone except the P2413 EGR system performance. I have looked over all the hoses and everything seems fine. I think I might replace the N75 valve next or check valve because this CEL is driving me crazy!

Let me know where I should check next. Remember this is a PD BEW engine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts