VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

2004 Jetta TDI Wagon, 5 speed. New CEL that I am trying to figure out. At this time I have the VCDS print out of the error code and going from notes on the other data.

1) I have been getting the P2196 18628 Oxygen Sensor Signal too High (Rich)-Intermittent. (only DTC)

2) Put on the VCDS, with a cold engine at idle (78 Deg. F.) the MAF had a high specified and actual at idle (> 800 mg/str) and (>90% duty cycle). This had been in high end of normal range, but never this high. (I expected 300 - 400 mg/str at idle) This number came down in the 400 range when the engine warmed up.

3) When going down the road, the MAP actual was about 200 mbar higher than the spec. (they were closer last time I checked)

4) EGR was a high percent number, so EGR I expect to be closed. (100%=closed, 0%=open)

I wondered about the actuator on the turbo (higher than expected boost) so I put my vacuum gage on it at the N75 valve, stroke was good with a stroke of about 4 to 20 inHg. No vacuum leaks. Check all of the vacuum hoses and they are good.

MAF was new a VW part 2 years ago.

EGR valve was new about 2 years ago. Car runs GREAT! Been getting 42 to 46 mpg. Has Malone stage 1 tune.

Being an Intermittent HIGH signal would this be the sensor itself? I did not put my eyes on the O2 sensor, it must be hidden.

What other parameters should I be looking at?

I have the Liquid Moly Diesel Purge that I will run through this weekend and check the changes.

Thanks!

·
Site Sponsor
32 Posts
what was the freeze frame data associated with the DTC? This info is very helpful for troubleshooting

I wouldn't concern myself too much with the EGR or maf readings, probably just seeing the normal stuff for an "EGR delete" tune. You are correct in that 100% duty cycle is 0% egr flow. This is a little counter-intuitive, but it's the way it works for EDC16 PD cars.

Actual AND specified over 800 at idle? that is high. If only specified, no worries. Otherwise, does not sound right.

·
Premium Member
9,741 Posts
VAG Error Code: 08598

EOBD II Error Code: P2196

Fault Location:
Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor 1, Bank 1/Heated Oxygen Sensor 1 (G39), Bank 1 - Signal Stuck Rich

Possible Cause:
Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.
Excessive Fuel Consumption.

Vacuum leaks.
Wiring/Connector(s).
Oxygen (Lambda) sensor.
Heated Oxygen Sensor 1 (G39).
Fuel pressure.
Injectors.
Air intake restricted.

Possible Solutions:
Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).

Description:
The front heated oxygen sensor (or O2 sensor 1) is placed into the exhaust manifold. It detects the amount of oxygen in the exhaust gas compared to the outside air. The heated oxygen sensor 1 has a closed-end tube made of ceramic zirconia. The zirconia generates voltage from approximately 1V in richer conditions to 0V in leaner conditions. The heated oxygen sensor 1 signal is sent to the Engine Control Module (ECM). The Engine Control Module (ECM) adjusts the injection pulse duration to achieve the ideal air-fuel ratio. The ideal air-fuel ratio occurs near the radical change from 1V to 0V.

As taken from my Free EOBD II Error Codes software

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Hi guys
in my occasion it turned out to be the heated oxygen sensor itself....I did a lot of research online and came to the conclusion it had to be it since I had no other engine running issues. After trying a LOT with my VCDS iI paid the dealer for a check up. The chief enginner there said that it is a fault code that almost 9/10 times has to do with the sensor itself. His diagnostic VAS program suggested other options which I only had a glimpse of, but his words were that if it was a problem with the injectors or a leak anywhere in the intake or turbo or EGR there would be more DTCs and certainly impaired engine function. He checked my gars emissions to be 100% sure and quoted me 300 euro for changing the pre cat sensor. SOO....if you dont have any power issues and your exhaust gases are within normal limits then its the oxygen sensor. It has a lifespan of 160000km. It cannot be "cleaned" unfortunately. Got mine from daparto.de and changed it myself for 100 euro and no more CEL or dtcs!!!!....the sound of the engine seems smoother too and i noticed a 5% better fuel economy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All,

2004 Jetta TDI Wagon, 5 speed. New CEL that I am trying to figure out. At this time I have the VCDS print out of the error code and going from notes on the other data.

1) I have been getting the P2196 18628 Oxygen Sensor Signal too High (Rich)-Intermittent. (only DTC)

2) Put on the VCDS, with a cold engine at idle (78 Deg. F.) the MAF had a high specified and actual at idle (> 800 mg/str) and (>90% duty cycle). This had been in high end of normal range, but never this high. (I expected 300 - 400 mg/str at idle) This number came down in the 400 range when the engine warmed up.

3) When going down the road, the MAP actual was about 200 mbar higher than the spec. (they were closer last time I checked)

4) EGR was a high percent number, so EGR I expect to be closed. (100%=closed, 0%=open)

I wondered about the actuator on the turbo (higher than expected boost) so I put my vacuum gage on it at the N75 valve, stroke was good with a stroke of about 4 to 20 inHg. No vacuum leaks. Check all of the vacuum hoses and they are good.

MAF was new a VW part 2 years ago.

EGR valve was new about 2 years ago. Car runs GREAT! Been getting 42 to 46 mpg. Has Malone stage 1 tune.

Being an Intermittent HIGH signal would this be the sensor itself? I did not put my eyes on the O2 sensor, it must be hidden.

What other parameters should I be looking at?

I have the Liquid Moly Diesel Purge that I will run through this weekend and check the changes.

Thanks!
I got the same problem on my Audi A4 TDI B8. The error p2196 on my car was trigged by long downhill run with no load on the engine.

It turned out to be the ground cable to the ECU causing O2 sensor to go cool since the heating element didn´t get enough power to keep the O2 sensor hot.

On this engine model the ECU is responsible to shorten the heating element inside the O2 sensor to ground. The ground cable from the ECU is attached near the shock absorber inside the motor bay.
/Mats

1 - 5 of 5 Posts