VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again, I'm back. I got the oil leak taken care of and now a new problem. Yesterday I was driving, stop and go in a parking lot, and I noticed a problem with the tranny. I was stopped and when I hit the gas all the engine did was rev up. After it revved up and I had no power, I let off the gas and then the transmission "caught" and I had power. This happened one more time before I could park. I told myself maybe I had bumped the shifter and messed it up. Now today the same problem happened when I was pulling away from a stop sign and the check engine light came on. I drove to the local Autozone and they pulled this code:

P0730
Gear Ratio Incorrect.

I have searched all over and it seems to be the consensus that this could mean many things.

Quote:

"The reason I say that by the way is it could be a bad TCM, a bad Valve Body, Bad Solenoids, Bad Harness, or even bad Valve Pump retainer Clips. Heck Ive found one where it was a bad MFS connector and another where it was a chafed ground wire gounding it out."
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3813142

I have yet to find a good post that explains this junk in simple English or gives me a 1...2...3... checklist. If anyone could give me a place to start that would be great before I have to take this to a mechanic.

Thanks,
Doc

·
Registered
482 Posts
If it's intermittent then it's probably a wire that's worn and about to split. If it was working fine and then not it's probably not a mechanical problem. It could be on the shifer or under the car on the tranny. Check the wires for chafing or cracks. Do you have a VCDS? It could show you more than a generic Autozone code.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Get the VCDS software and cable, you can see what's going on in the transmission. It'll save time in the end.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: I checked all the wire connections by the transmission and everything seemed ok. I did the same thing inside the shifter console. The check engine light has gone away and I haven't had a problem since. I guess I'll see how long this lasts and then decide if I wanna start replacing wiring.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts