VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  terpsgeorgia 
#1 ·
My car keeps throwing a (p0101) and (p299) code. I cleaned the maf and same issue. I replaced the maf with a Bosch maf sensor, issue still remains. I checked if my actuator was moving at start up and at rev, It moved up and down. Idk what it could be at this point. I have power before the codes show then it derates to limp mode. The car starts up fine and I have no smoke coming out the exhaust so I’m not sure if it’s the cam. I would like to figure out what this is instead of paying a shop. Engine type(BRM). Any advice would help, thanks

#2 · (Edited)
P0101 is a pretty ubiquitous code. Check for turbo leaks, the VNT actuator. Also can be due to camshaft lobe wear. the deal is you get back pressure which keeps the air from flowing. There are wikis for all these on the site - checking cam, checking for pressure leaks, VNT checks, maf tests etc. Mine was finally resolved when I replaced my intercooler. Full vcds report would be beneficial.

#3 ·
Took it to my local shop and they claimed it was a bad turbocharger and an egr cooler. I felt like they were just trying to throw parts at it to find the problem, because it was my second time there for a diag, so I declined the repair. However, they did tell me there’s no noticeable signs of cam wear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.