VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems as if all the manuals for my 2009 Jetta TDI are rather generic for 2009 Jettas and not at all specific for a TDI. For example, I can not find TDI specific information on oil changes and other periodic routine maintanance. Am I missing a manual or should I look to a different source for the info?
don

·
Registered
139 Posts
That's what I've heard about them too, there is a bunch of stuff which doesn't apply to your car right? That's just the way they are.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What prompted my question is that I just purchased a used 2009 Jetta TDI. Thre were receipts for the free service at 8500 miles and 18000 miles, but no indication as to what was actually done. I would like to know if the routine periodic service (paid for by VW untill 35000 miles) includes changing the air filter and fuel filter. I can't find anything in the manual to indicate when these services should be performed.

don

·
Registered
16 Posts
my 2009 manual has the regular maintenance information at the back, with the parts that apply to specific transmissions or engines listed with something like "(tdi only)" at the end of said lines.

So, for instance, when you look at the 10k maintenance, you should see a list of things including the oil change, tire rotation, etc. Anything that doesn't specifically mention an engine at the end of the line applies to all of the cars... and anything that mentions just the gas, diesel, automatic, and manual cars relate to only those cars.

The 2009 2.0 CR TDI engines have a 10k oil change interval (and could really go to about 15k without any worries). Most other regular maintenance items like the fuel filter, cabin filter, etc. are replaced on 20k intervals.

I'm pretty sure the fuel filter should be done at 20k and 40k.. the air filter is to be done at 60k for sure (can't remember if it was replaced previously.. don't have the manual in front of me).

If you don't have this information available, I'd be happy to list it out for you.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
The dealer would send me specials of this nature, other than scheduled maintenance which was not in the owners manuel. Of course each individual dealer is different so what do you consider (Free.) IF you go to the dealer can they pull up a maintenance record of the car? This site has excellant info. on service when they should be performed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The dealer will not give me service records done under prior owner (claims it's a privicy issue). All I have are the two receipts found in the glove box from service done at approx. 8500 and 18500 miles. It appears all they did was change the oil and oil filter. No tire rotation indicated on either receipt and judging by the condition of the front tires compared to the rear I do not think they were ever rotated.
I agree, this site has lots of information on mainatence and service, as do other sites I have run across. But ultimately, for warranty purposes I would like to make sure I follow VW service guidlines to the letter and I can not determine what they are from my owner manuals. For example on page 38 of the USA Warranty and Maintenance booklet it is suggested that the vehicles be serviced every 5000 miles which is included in the VW Carefree Maintenance Program. They do not include any reference to an exception for the TDI models. The 20,000 mile service includes changing the fuel filter. This apparantly was not done on my vehicle. Maybe because it was brought in at 18500 miles instead of 20,000. Now I am wondering whether to have it changed soon (22,000 miles) or just wait for the next oil change at 30,000 miles?

Don

·
Registered
16 Posts
unless your driving is mostly stop & go/city... driving farther than 10k on the oil is no big deal. I have regularly driven over 10k miles on my car (mosty highway miles), and all of discussions on here & tdiclub generally agree that the oil is good for up to about 15k as long as the car isn't seeing more extreme use (like a lot of stop & go driving).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts