VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Jetta's outside temparature drops to -45 every time I start the car and then gradually adjust temperature to a more accurate reading. Has any experienced anything similar. I'm thinking to replace outside temperature sensor ...

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
I had the exact same issue with my 2006 Jetta TDI. The worst part is that the computer will not let you run the A/C compressor when it is that cold (or at least when it thinks it is that cold). My issue happened during the dog days of the summer and it was pretty hot outside.

A quick replacement of the outside temp sensor fixed my problem. It is very easy to get to. You should see it behind the front bumper on the lower, left (driver's) side of the center grill. If you are having trouble finding it, I can send you a picture of mine.

I'm pretty sure the sensor was inexpensive. I think it was around $20 or $25, but that was a while ago. I might not be remembering it correctly.

Let me know if you can't find it.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Not sure about the outside temp sender not letting you run the AC. My 03 Beetle doesn't have the sensor and my AC works fine. Every now and then I'll get an off the wall temp reading of -45.

dweisel

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
I can assure you that my A/C didn't work when the outside temp was at -45. The temp would slowly go back up, and when it was high enough that the "snow flake" disappeared, the A/C would start working again.

Either way, if the outside temp sensor isn't working, I would recommend replacing it. That worked for me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the exact same problem. Since I was under warranty I took it to the dealer. I fought this for 2 years and about 4-5 trips back to the dealer. The sensor under the bumper was replace twice, the instrument cluster was replace twice and about 2 months after the last trip to the dealer it acted up again. This time out of warranty. I decided to try and fix it myself.

I found a place to order the temp sensor for around $9.00 and I fixed the crappy job the dealer did on the wireing. They just crimpped the wiring in one attempt to fix the problem. I fixed that replacing the crimpped conneciton with solder and heat shrink tubing when I replaced the sensor. It has been over a year and no more issues with wrong temp being displayed or a/c refusing to work.

Total time to fix it correctly less than 1 hour.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all replies! How did you get to the sensor? Did you have to remove the whole bumper or lower grill only?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an issue with the ambient temperature with my 2006 jetta. It only shows 3 dash's. I replace the sensor, still no change. I also checked what i could see of the wiring to the sensor. Can anyone give me other advise?

·
Super Moderator
9,408 Posts
Welcome to the forum mattmarr05. welcometomyturbodies

Do you access to VAG.COM/VCDS?

You need a full scan just in case you have other problems plus you can check what the temp is reading in measuring blocks even though you can't see it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the same problem, I changed the sensor but that did not fix it, it seems to be a problem with the instrument cluster, still am working on fixing it but no luck yet

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it started failing again with the new sensor - back to square one. I put the old one in and it worked for a while. mattmarr, have you scanned it with vcds?

·
Registered
1 Posts
A/C

Just had 1800. repair at dealership...A/C quit.....a/c man had for 3 weeks and unable to repair....Dealer for "rodent" chewed wires at ambient temp.sensor and a nest behind the sensor......tied into AC through the computer.....so once wires fixed, ac worked and able to find out compressor seized......now have working ac and looking for squirrel deterrent LOL
:annoyed

·
Registered
1 Posts
ambient sensor

My outside smbient sensor is gone. It have --- three dashes is the tempature. My a/c isn't cooling and the compressor have no power. I have looked every where and can't find where to buy a new one or from where the sensor is attached from. Help please

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Your profile says that you drive a Jetta, but it doesn't say what year. Mine is a 2006 and this link will take you to a website that I use to by a lot of my parts. According to the site the ambient temp sensor for my model year would be $14.49. Good luck.

http://www.vwpartscenter.net/

·
Registered
439 Posts
Just had 1800. repair at dealership...A/C quit.....a/c man had for 3 weeks and unable to repair....Dealer for "rodent" chewed wires at ambient temp.sensor and a nest behind the sensor......tied into AC through the computer.....so once wires fixed, ac worked and able to find out compressor seized......now have working ac and looking for squirrel deterrent LOL
:annoyed
Cloth bag of moth balls tied to inside of grill works.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts