VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never thought I would get a diesel before but a drive in a 2011 Jetta TDI did it for me.
My current daily driver is a 2008 Honda Accord 3.5. The Passat will be my last "company" car then I retire. I am buying this one at the end of the 3 yr lease.
My fun car is a 2004 BMW M3 6 spd conv. Also ride a 2008 BMW R1200RT sport touring motorcycle.

I am quite excited to join this group of Diesel enthousiasts.

Robert
Montreal, Canada

·
Registered
118 Posts
:needpics:

Oh wait, is this a bit premature? I don't know why you can't get a manual highline in the US but you can in Canada. Where is the wagon? VW, make up your mind!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Welcome fellow Canuck. And congrats on the soon to be here 2012 Passat TDI. This is my first diesel also.(2011 Golf TDI). Lots of good info here to learn about the new beast before she arrives.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am thinking of going RDI as well

I drive 5000km / month and have a 4 cyl Altima now, I am due for a car in 4-6 months and am considering the Passat TDI.....Does anyone know if the TDI will be rated for towing (ie: 2500 lbs)? Also I am told that with the cold weather here in Canada the TDI's have issues with cold weather starts. The 4cyl Toyota Venza will tow 2500. :panic:

Title should read TDI not RDI sorry.

Newbie mistake :(

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
You will not have any problems with cold starts and all TDI in Canada come with standard electric block heaters.

The only problem is with the DSG transmission and very high altitude and very cold temps. The thin air=low compression+cold+thick trans fluid = hard starts.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I drive 5000km / month and have a 4 cyl Altima now, I am due for a car in 4-6 months and am considering the Passat TDI.....Does anyone know if the TDI will be rated for towing (ie: 2500 lbs)? Also I am told that with the cold weather here in Canada the TDI's have issues with cold weather starts. The 4cyl Toyota Venza will tow 2500. :panic:

Title should read TDI not RDI sorry.

Newbie mistake :(
http://youtu.be/1DwzA8WP1W0

Not a Passat TDI but a Golf.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Vw tdi

Wow -30 cold start that's awsome .. and puts that to rest...Thanks!

Now if only I could find out what the estimated tow rating is on the 2012 Passat TDI, I cant seem to find info on this anywhere...my VW guy in town says 1200 lbs bus isn't sure, I have to believe its near the 2500 lbs because of the TDI's torque.

HELP ANYONE!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts