VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I'm new to the Volkswagen world. In fact I'm sad to say that I've always owned Japanese cars. However, my brother has a 2009 TDI Sportwagen and I absolutely love it. Though the Sportwagen is not for me, I really love the TDI motor and DSG transmission so I'm now in the market for a 2011 Jetta TDI (sedan). I've contacted one of my local dealerships and I've been told that they should be arriving within a few weeks.

That said, I have done some reading and I know I want the DSG transmission and the navigation package which gives me navigation, fog lights, keyless entry, etc. However, a few things are unclear to me;

1) I've seen that on the SEL trim level, there is an option which adds a sports suspension. And from some reviews I've read, it seems to stiffen up the car a fair amount. I definitely want this stiffer suspension on my new TDI, but I don't see a suspension option/package. Does anyone know if the TDI comes standard with the stiffer suspension?

2) I'm also interested in the Jetta TDI Appearance Package (PIO) which includes the trunk/hatch spoiler and plastic/rubber floor mats. I've seen this listed as a $350 option, but when I called a local dealer about this, they didn't know anything about it. Does anyone know if this is a dealer option or what? I guess what I'm asking is if I'll need to special order my car to get this or if this is something that will be pretty common.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cush,

Test drove one in Auburn 2 days ago, drove like a champ. Liked the roomier interior, rear seat 2.5 " more space than my 2003 Jetta Wagon. Asked about the fog lights and additional items, kind of the same, didn't like that they stopped the independent rear suspension, ride was tight and acceleration is good. But never wanted the TDI for power, I like the MPG, if I had to trade or get another it might be a Sportwagon, compares to my Passat TDI with new bells and whistles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The TDI doesn't get the sports seats but the springs are stiffer to account for the heavier engine so yes it's stiffer but I don't know if it's sport. I've been surfring around too...

The appearance packatge is a dealer thing. I don't know about the hatch spoiler but mats and mud guards are added at the port or dealer.

I do like the keyless entry. That is certainly unique in this price segment. The Audi A4 only includes it in their top of the line trim which is a ripoff. I don't know why they don't put the keyless entry on the sportwagen too since I don't see why they can't use the same system.

·
Super Moderator
9,395 Posts
The TDI doesn't get the sports seats

I don't know about the hatch spoiler but mats and mud guards are added at the port or dealer.
Maybe yours doesn't but we don't know what you drive do we. Please add your car spec?

Mud guards/mud flaps are an option not standard in the UK anyway. ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input guys. 1FCKFan; I wasn't aware Auburn had any 2011 TDI's. I've checked inventory of all the dealerships around and none of them show a 2011 TDI. It's disappointing that the sport seats aren't available on the TDI, though I personally haven't sat in them so perhaps the standard seats are more comfortable.

Regarding the stiffer suspension, wannatdi, thanks for the info. It would be great if someone out there that's driven the SE/SEL without the sport package, with sport package, and the TDI could report back the difference in handling. In all reality, the suspension on the TDI will probably be sufficient for me regardless. I just really like the way my brother's '09 TDI Sportwagen handles and I've been told that the Sportwagen's have a stiffer suspension than the sedans.

As for the appearance package, I guess I'll just have to take that up with the dealer once these cars start arriving. I saw a few pictures of the rear end with the lip and I really like the way the car looks with it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
41 Jetta TDI sedans located within 500 miles of Seattle

I found my 2011 VW Golf TDI in Houston, Tx by using cars.com and was able to shop for a price I could live with.

Could be a way of finding what you want.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found my 2011 VW Golf TDI in Houston, Tx by using cars.com and was able to shop for a price I could live with.

Good point, thanks. Now it's just a matter of determining what price I'll be happy with. Just curious; how much below MSRP did you get your Golf for?

·
Registered
19 Posts

Which dealer? I got mine in VW Momentum in Jersey Village. The Momentum dealer that's actually IN Houston didn't have what I wanted and the guy up in JV was really helpful so I went with them. The lady that answers the online queries at the Houston Momentum dealer was very helpful as well, the other guy just contacted me first with the car I currently have (that was the closest thing he could find).

Good point, thanks. Now it's just a matter of determining what price I'll be happy with. Just curious; how much below MSRP did you get your Golf for?
I got mine for about $1,000 under MSRP. It was a special that dealership was having - all golfs, both TDi and RUG engines, had a $1,000 discount on all new 2011 models.

Have you ever thought about the 2010 Jetta TDi Cup Edition? They have several around in Texas, that Jersey Village dealer was taking off $2,500 up front, might be able to get it haggled down. I'm not a huge fan of the way it looks totally (the decals can be removed at the dealer and the front end would take a little time getting used to), but it's tuned at 170 bhp and still gets about the same fuel economy.

I'm a total noob when it comes to VW, but from what I've read and heard, it seems like people prefer the 2010 and earlier model Jettas.

If I wanted to get a Jetta, I would have DEFINITELY bought the TDi Cup Edition. The only downside? I think it has the 9w3 or 9w2 bluetooth, and not the 9w7.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts