VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Anybody figure out what the optimum speed to cruise at to get the best milage with a DSG?

Herb

·
Registered
80 Posts
Are you going up a hill or down a hill? Tire size? Normally the slowest you can go in the highest gear will produce the highest mpg and the biggest traffic jams :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
I agree with Sipper. Keep the rpm's low, which the DSG does for you in regular D mode if you don't push the pedal too hard.

This past tank of mine I've been striving for MPG (I normally like to drive a little fast...) and I've been making sure to do no faster than 65mph which pegs the car's tach at a little over 2k RPM. So far the range on my car (according to the computer) plus trip is about 670miles. On the full 14.5 gallon tank, that figures to a 46mpg mixed. We'll see what it is at fill up time.

Remember too on the highway, higher speeds increase air drag which goes up exponentially (squared i think?) with speed. So lower speed helps there too.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Speed is a major factor. The increase in drag is the square of speed. You can experiment with how far you press the gas pedal and you should notice how light you can touch it when going 55-60 mph.

And as previously noted, traffic usually won't let you drive that slow.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i usually try to stay around 55-60mph on the freeway on the way to work. of course, dont drive in the "fast" lane doing this as you'll just end up pissing people off. LOL..

so far, i've gotten approximately 45mpg on a weekly basis. not too bad.. but nowhere near the 50-60mpg that some people have reported.

·
Registered
22 Posts
i usually try to stay around 55-60mph on the freeway on the way to work. of course, dont drive in the "fast" lane doing this as you'll just end up pissing people off. LOL..

so far, i've gotten approximately 45mpg on a weekly basis. not too bad.. but nowhere near the 50-60mpg that some people have reported.
I live in Philly and commute to Wilmington, Delaware everyday (~60 miles round trip). My route is 95% highway and I get in the slow lane and set cruise control at 55 mph (while enjoying the antics of Howard Stern). I consistently get 50-53 miles per gallon during the week days(when I usually only use my car for my commute). When I take my car out during the weekends I do more city driving which probably drops my MPG down to around 45 MPG for the week on average.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I live in Philly and commute to Wilmington, Delaware everyday (~60 miles round trip). My route is 95% highway and I get in the slow lane and set cruise control at 55 mph (while enjoying the antics of Howard Stern). I consistently get 50-53 miles per gallon during the week days(when I usually only use my car for my commute). When I take my car out during the weekends I do more city driving which probably drops my MPG down to around 45 MPG for the week on average.
50 mpg is definitely possible. I live in the D.C. area and commute about 50 miles round trip. Most of my driving is highway, but often times it is congested particularly when I drive through Washington. I estimate about 70% of my trip is highway, and 30% is city. What I notice is my to work commute averages about 41 - 43 mph, my commute home seems to average about 45 - 47. My two month running average is 43 mpg. I achieved 50.6 mpg a week ago (light traffic, few traffic lights), and my absolute best was last Friday at 51.0 mpg, both of these going home (and no I haven't hacked the computer).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts