VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from a 2.5 week vacation and I found out that one set of my keys is missing and there is a bulge on my passenger side tire which is pretty much brand new.

Dealer quoted me around $279.50 for a tire + install and $232.50 for a new key fob including programming since my Jetta is Kessy.

Anyone know if I can get a new key cheaper? The tire looks like it would be $200 from tirerack shipped to canada :(

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Ouch, sorry to hear that. There are some tips in the FAQ for programming keys but the newest cars use encrypted chips. Kessy isn't a big problem. This is the first I've heard of KESSY Jetta key replacement so I looked up the part number: 5k0 837 202 (5k0837202)

Add suffix e, h, or j if you have a 3 button remote. Add suffix f if you have a 4 button. Check your remote to see which suffix you use.

IMHO, cheapest way to get a new key is buy it from an online dealer cut with your VIN and take it to the local dealer for programming. It really takes 5 minutes but they normally charge for 1 hour.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Did you check the tire manufacturer's warranty? In the US the tire warranty is not part of VW B2B warranty.

Most tire warranties will provide a free replacement for a certain period of time due to a manufacturer's defect or at minimum a prorated credit against the replacement tire based on tread depth.

You'll likely have to go to a tire dealer that carries the tire brand on your car to get tire warranty service.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I just had to get my tire replaced as well, same issue with a broken belt in the sidewall. Although I noticed mine the day before I left for vacation, so didn't bother looking into warranty and all that.

Replacement Conti tire (91H rating and all that) for me was ~$212 from Bob Sumerel Tire in OH.

I also didn't think of checking warranty because it was a brutal winter for potholes in the area and somehow I managed hit everyone. Always saw them at the last second with no time to really change course, :ugh

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ended up buying a new tire from Discount Tire direct- shipped to Canada was $178.00 USD. I tried a few places, but no one was willing to say manufacturing defect... the tires have less than 2000 miles on them.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ended up buying a new tire from Discount Tire direct- shipped to Canada was $178.00 USD. I tried a few places, but no one was willing to say manufacturing defect... the tires have less than 2000 miles on them.
The only way ive ever gotten a tire replaced as a defect is to file a small claims.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts