VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Today I performed the TB, waterpump, tensioner, idler and serpentine belts replacement on my 2005 Passat TDI GLS. I noticed when I was under the car that on each side of the front end of the car there are rubber pipes that are connnected to a steel tube that runs across the bottom of the core support. I found some oil residue around the joints in these boots. I know these boots have to do with the turbo/intercooler system but, where is this oil coming from and should I be alarmed by its presence?

There was not a huge amount of oil there but, just enough to attract dirt and road grime. Is this something out of the ordinary?

I strongly suggest the dieselgeek TB kit and crank/cam locking tools.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Perfectly normal, it's just a bit of oily residue that gets blown through from the turbo, if you notice your oil level starts disappearing without any sign of a leak I'd be concerned.:)

welcometomyturbodies

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
No worries, these things can be a bit alarming when you don't know any better but you can also take off the turbo hose that goes upto the inlet manifold and check for excessive oil.:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Oil in these places is normal. You may clean the intercooler ductwork with dawn dish washing detergent. and reassemble. Note it will get oily again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts