VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought this baby new in March of 2004 and have taken care of it carefully. It has rolled up 62.5K miles and has performed better than I ever expected--getting 43-45 mpg all of that time. I was really surprised at the acceleration and power that it had. But now, it has a problem and I hope not a serious one. I (being a DIY'r) changed the oil and filter at regular intervals and also the fuel filter as well as other necessary services at intervals as VW requires using factory materials only. I noticed a different noise coming from the front of the engine a few days back, a couple of days before it shut down on my wife. I've read some of the entries in the forum here about the problems involving chain driven oil pumps and I'm wondering if mine has a gear driven pump? Is there an easy way to tell without tearing into the drive cover to see?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
.0001% chance it has a gear driven pump since you bought new. Unless you sleepdrove to a mechanic and had them do it. Hey anything's possible right?

"before it shut down on my wife" what happened, it just died completely? You could complain to the dealer you bought from and see if they'll work with you on the price for repair, some have gotten discounts at dealer for replacement, others have had replacement under warranty.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts