1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all Bit of a story
Oil light and stop engine warning
Taken to garage who advise
New engine required as turbo nut had come off .
We have removed turbo and the nut is missing with little damage to impeller.
We can’t find the nut as yet .
We have removed inter cooler piping nothing found .
Inter cooler to be removed soon
All oil pipes to and from turbo are clear .
We have run up the engine without starting to listen out for knocking on the head area We have drained oil and checked with a magnet there is no metal present
Any ideas thoughts
Thanks
Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Steve, there doesn't appear in the pic any "significant" damage to the compressor side fins. how does the hot side look? You're doing all the right things checking for metal. My guess is you'll find the nut rattling around the bottom of the IC.

Is the turbo seized up? I suspect that's what caused the nut to back off. It could be when the shaft slid some to one side it blocked oil feed thru the turbo and gave the engine warning. I'm not positive about that one. But you can purchase and replace the center turbo cartridge alone I believe for a few hundred bucks.

Pull your plumbing just before the intake and shine a bright light in and around for shiny metal flakes. Flakes will stick in the oil and reflect light back at you. I read about a guy whose turbo disintegrated and sent lots of aluminum to the IC but nothing was found with inspection beyond the IC.

Before firing up the engine pull the glow plugs and crank the engine with an oil pressure gauge hooked up somewhere. If no needle movement stop. if you have some needle movement install the plugs, keep the gauge starting the engine to monitor pressure. Maybe the oil pump crapped out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your comment
We are going to remove sump check oil pickup strainer and remove hex shaft on pump Replace as needed. Then order new turbo.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts