VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had 2 lifters come apart on my 99 Beetle TDI damaging the head and camshaft, and I changed the head (used). I now have a rapid oil leak that seems to be between the crankshaft (seal replaced) and the head. Head bolts holes cleaned prior to putting new head gasket and bolts and torqueing to spec. I replaced the camshaft seal even though there was not any leak. I checked the oil gallery plug and it is not leaking. I can find no other place to check for leaks. HELP

·
Registered
298 Posts
If you haven't found the leak yet then start over - clean off the entire area and then run the engine for a few minutes. Then check again.

It's possible the head is warped or cracked and is leaking oil somewhere.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
My first guess is the camshaft or crankshaft seals.

Second guess is the turbo oil pressure feed line - it could be under pressure and spraying oil out. Either that or the turbo oil return line but that's not under pressure.

I don't think the head is cracked, that should be obvious during install. But if the head is warped that would also result in a leak or maybe also a coolant-oil mixing if the warp is in the right spot.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took the lower cover (that holds the crank shaft seal) off and found a hole about the size of a dime. The tensioner had the tab that holds the spring broken off and got down into the area of the crankshaft pulley and was pushed through the cover hence the leak. Thank for the help.

Ps:Clapp VW has good parts and service with discount on VW parts online.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts