VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new Golf TDI has nearly 5000 miles on it. My dealer in Alaska tells me that VW will only pay for a service at 10,000 miles, but they do recommend a 5000 mile oil change for about $93. Does anyone think I should pay for an extra oil change or should I stick with the schedule recommended by VW? Thanks!

D

·
0 Posts
I wouldn't since it's supposedly slightly different oil for break in. It's rated for 10,000 and they're charging you money for it. Since you say it was mostly highway I don't think the oil was stressed much either. Keeping the revs going up and down on the highway would really help break in too.

·
Registered
482 Posts
No, stick with the 507 VW spec engine oil and stick with their service schedule. FYI, some have speculated that 507 engine oil is low ash and not using 507 can cause excess DPF exhaust filter clogging.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I thought long and hard on this and changed the oil myself at 5k using the recommended oil which I purchased from the dealer. I am told break in oil is a thing of the past with the modern machining done at the factories these days. I also understand that the engines are run on the bench and the initial oil is changed anyhow.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I thought long and hard on this and changed the oil myself at 5k using the recommended oil which I purchased from the dealer. I am told break in oil is a thing of the past with the modern machining done at the factories these days. I also understand that the engines are run on the bench and the initial oil is changed anyhow.
x2. they are usually bench tested before putting it in the car.

sorry to threadjack, but how hard is the oil change on these cars? is the oil filter catridge style similar to other VWs (2.0T)?

·
Registered
4 Posts
x2. they are usually bench tested before putting it in the car.

sorry to threadjack, but how hard is the oil change on these cars? is the oil filter catridge style similar to other VWs (2.0T)?
Not bad at all. The oil filter is in front of the motor, behind the radiator. It is also a cartridge filter. With the exception of the location of the filter, the process is much like that on my '06 GTI.
For this car, VW was kind enough to use 2 different size fasteners on the under engine shroud. I think the front and sides were T-20 (like the MkV) and the 3 rear fasteners were T-25. I can do it on the ground if I drive up on a couple 2"X10" planks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts