VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is an incredible sight, my first post here. I wouldn't have taken this project on myself without the information provided here. My kid bought an 05 Passat but barely runs no power really rough and smoke. We were hoping for a quick EGR replacement fix but that didn't do it. After doing the cam inspection and finding significant wear on number one and number four we are going to swap the cam, lifters, timing belt, water pump and do the balance shaft fix. The car has 180,000 miles and excellent compression. Wish us luck, LOL.

The link for premium members at the end of the inspection article doesn't work but I found the thread for cam placement.
Automotive design Table Desk Engineering Electronic device

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design Automotive fuel system

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
This is an incredible sight, my first post here. I wouldn't have taken this project on myself without the information provided here. My kid bought an 05 Passat but barely runs no power really rough and smoke. We were hoping for a quick EGR replacement fix but that didn't do it. After doing the cam inspection and finding significant wear on number one and number four we are going to swap the cam, lifters, timing belt, water pump and do the balance shaft fix. The car has 180,000 miles and excellent compression. Wish us luck, LOL.

The link for premium members at the end of the inspection article doesn't work but I found the thread for cam placement.
View attachment 9162
View attachment 9165
I did both the colt cam and the balance shaft replacement when I bought my car 4 years ago. Absolutely love my car. I also swapped to a stick shift. The videos and tutorials on here are they only way I could do it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi JohnathanL45, did you get the DIY from here? What set up are you running for the stick shift? Any issues or dash lights?

I have a B5.5 wagon and I am waiting for the tranny to go so I can convert it to stick. At the moment I can only get like 32mpg highway and less in the city and I know ots the transmission that's killing the fuel economy.

It's a high priority item in my list so any help would be appreciated.

I have also replaced the cam and lifters and done the timing belt replacement form this site. I didnt do the balance shaft delete though. Is that a highly recommended model? I could do that with the next timing belt change.

Thanks all

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Hi JohnathanL45, did you get the DIY from here? What set up are you running for the stick shift? Any issues or dash lights?

I have a B5.5 wagon and I am waiting for the tranny to go so I can convert it to stick. At the moment I can only get like 32mpg highway and less in the city and I know ots the transmission that's killing the fuel economy.

It's a high priority item in my list so any help would be appreciated.

I have also replaced the cam and lifters and done the timing belt replacement form this site. I didnt do the balance shaft delete though. Is that a highly recommended model? I could do that with the next timing belt change.

Thanks all

I followed this video and the one he posted after it. It's a lot of work, but worth it. Malone Tuning will take care of the computer errors, but I did buy the Vagcom VCDS to use my computer for the ABs, and traction control. I ordered the transmission from Dutchautoparts.com and got it pretty quickly. As for the clutch and flywheel, I ordered a solid flywheel rather than the dual. My car is efficient and fast and fun to drive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts