VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've seen up to $1000 below MSRP for some sedans. Depends on the market.
How can they sell a car when according to the buyer's guide, they only make about 1250 on it, minus 1000 that's 250 per car, they must pay overhead, other costs per car, and salesman commissions.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Easy, dealer incentives. If you sell 100 cars, you get x dollars from VW, if you sell 200 cars you get 2x dollars, etc. And it's better to lose a little money and sell a car than lose a lot of money by having it sit on the lot for 6 months while you pay finance for it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
How can they sell a car when according to the buyer's guide, they only make about 1250 on it, minus 1000 that's 250 per car, they must pay overhead, other costs per car, and salesman commissions.
See this for more: http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/car-advice/20070205_driving_dollars__invoice_price_mythicala1.asp

The "invoice" is the rate if they sold only that one car. That's how you can buy cars below invoice - no dealer could stay in business selling cars at invoice considering overhead.

·
Registered
118 Posts
FYI, Chris at Langhorne VW in PA is selling Sedans at BELOW invoice and Wagons at between invoice and MSRP. Good times for car buyers. I don't know many who are unemployed, it seems like everyone is just waiting for prices to go lower instead of buying.

·
Registered
32 Posts
FYI, Chris at Langhorne VW in PA is selling Sedans at BELOW invoice and Wagons at between invoice and MSRP. Good times for car buyers. I don't know many who are unemployed, it seems like everyone is just waiting for prices to go lower instead of buying.
Yeah, I saw that too, that is an awesome deal. If anyone is getting shafted they should point that deal out. Those dealers deserve to go out of business.

·
Registered
45 Posts
+1
The general consensus is that they are still over MSRP on the West Coast. Seems like the East Coast got all of the TDI?

·
Registered
1 Posts
+1
The general consensus is that they are still over MSRP on the West Coast. Seems like the East Coast got all of the TDI?
This is true as I have been trying to buy a wagen here in CA. I finally ordered one from Chris and will take delivery of it on 3-6. If you live on the west coast and you want a wagen go to Chris, will cost you shipping but still below what the west coast dealers want and it takes 3-4 months to get them if you order the wagen on the west coast.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts