VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Don't worry about $1000, some dealers are charing $3000 markup over MSRP! As a rule, never pay over MSRP unless it's a very very hard to find car! You pretty much have to pay over MSRP for exotics like ferraris but a jetta? Comon! I am going to wait until prices come down before thinking about taking on another debt.

Besides, if the "dealer markup" goes away after 6 months, you just lost $3000 in 6 months off the value of your car. Unacceptable!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Don't worry about $1000, some dealers are charing $3000 markup over MSRP! As a rule, never pay over MSRP unless it's a very very hard to find car! You pretty much have to pay over MSRP for exotics like ferraris but a jetta? Comon! I am going to wait until prices come down before thinking about taking on another debt.

Besides, if the "dealer markup" goes away after 6 months, you just lost $3000 in 6 months off the value of your car. Unacceptable!
What if the dealer offers you a premium to buyback the car?

No, not from a lemon, someone on an online bulletin board got a nissan GTR at slightly over MSRP. The dealer offered $10k to buy it back because they had a firm offer for $25k over MSRP! The other one they had already sold for $25k over MSRP, friggin insane,<---- that's stupidity:panic:

If you can get a Jetta for MSRP and the market price is $3000 over MSRP, if you have a firm buyer, sell it and pocket the difference.

·
Registered
60 Posts
What if the dealer offers you a premium to buyback the car?

If you can get a Jetta for MSRP and the market price is $3000 over MSRP, if you have a firm buyer, sell it and pocket the difference.
Umm...that would work if you didn't have to pay sales tax, let's say 8% to cover any other fees, that cuts $3000 in half right there. You basically sold the car for $1500? Not worth it on a 23,000 car.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
FWIH, some people ARE getting orders in at MSRP and below so don't order one above MSRP because you're not helping yourself or the next buyer.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Supply/Demand. If you don't want to pay the adjusted market value, don't buy it.

I wouldn't out of principle and the dealer should know that giving people a good deal gives return business.

On a side note, anyone else see the firesale prices on pickups? The dodge ram and nissan titans are going for about 40% off! These are 10-14k below MSRP! If you need a pickup or SUV, now is the time to buy!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Supply/Demand. If you don't want to pay the adjusted market value, don't buy it.

I wouldn't out of principle and the dealer should know that giving people a good deal gives return business.

On a side note, anyone else see the firesale prices on pickups? The dodge ram and nissan titans are going for about 40% off! These are 10-14k below MSRP! If you need a pickup or SUV, now is the time to buy!
Who wants a pickup other than contracters or landscapers? Americans have finally gotten the message that we need to conserve fuel. At predicted gas prices, that SUV will still be more expensive to own in 3-4 years and have low resale value.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I saw on the news that GM lost 15 billion dollars! How long can this go on? It's going to take at least a year to shift the dealer inventory and 3 years to retool for new models.

And with the economy the way it is, after the intial rush, I don't see any new cars sales going really strong for an extended period unless it's a small car.

·
Registered
82 Posts
There'll always be a market for cars. For example, the housing market is in the news but it's really only worst where the housing bubble was biggest. If you lived in south becah miami and lost millions on a condo then yeah, if you lived in rural idaho, I doubt economic conditions have changed at all...

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Nice, there are a few more threads of people with FSI 2.0T engines with sportwagens. Not sure if I like the red, the taillights blend in too much with the body.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've been looking around just for fun, if you search cars.com and autotrader, there are plenty of tdis now. not sure how many are actually in stock and not sold but if you call around I'm sure you'll get some hits

·
Registered
32 Posts
FYI, there's a thread on the vortex where salesmen can tell you the status of your car or help you find a car. I doubt the local salesmen will help you buy a car elsewhere!

·
Registered
68 Posts
FYI, there's a thread on the vortex where salesmen can tell you the status of your car or help you find a car. I doubt the local salesmen will help you buy a car elsewhere!
I've been doing my research and it also looks like below MSRP deals are more common. I saw an ad on craigslist that said "my sales manager is letting me sell these at MSRP now but you have to hurry, the deal ends oct 31". LOL.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Wow....with the dive in the economy and people watching thier stock market losses and the lack of buyers, you'd think dealers would be more willing to deal.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts