VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Official pictures of the all new Jetta being launched tomorrow ;) Auto Express didn't realize that the pictures were embargoed until tomorrow. Oh well, their loss and the publics gain.

Enjoy!

LOL it has a Tennessee tag

·
Registered
482 Posts
I am underwhelmed at the interior and exterior. The tail lights looked less oval and thinner in the concept and test car pictures. They looked more Audi-like. The headlights are more curved - the concept car's more square lights had a more aggressive look to them. At least they got rid of the big chrome smiley face grill.

The interior looks good.....BUT it looks too similar to the older interiors. There's no jump forward in design.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think it looks great, although, at first glance there is a striking resemblence to the BMW 3 series. The interior is very handsome, evolutionary as opposed to reveloutionary, fine by me who subscribes to the theroy "if it works well, don't fix it". I would prefer not to see silver metallic door and dash trim with a beige interior; it looks great with gray and black but seems to clash with beige. Many manufacturers come up with a great design, then screw it up trying to "improve" on it. Looking forward to seeing the Mk. VI Jetta in the flesh!

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Does anyone know what bridge that is?

I can see some good things and bad things. At first I didn't like the RNS 510 but I warmed up. The RNS 315 looks bad because of the much smaller screen and lower capabilities but I guess I'll have to see it in person. The smaller screen does make it look much cheaper though.

The 3 dial climate control works because you can operate them by feel. The current auto climate control has dials which don't tell you anything - you have to look at the temp screen to see what it's set at. However, I don't like the chrome trim. It's a little much. I also prefer dual zone auto climate control because it does work well.

I'm sure the steering wheel in the mk6 Jetta will have buttons on both sides because it's the same wheel as in the mk6 Golf. It's probably a lower trim and because of that, the equipment such as the climate control dials might be a little different.

I can tell the hoodline was moved up. It doesn't look as sloping as the mk5 Jetta but the cabin-windshield edge looks like it's at the same point. This means the front of the car was moved up to give the hood a flatter look. This also complies with the new Euro pedestrian crash safety regulations which have raised the hood on many cars.

Flat black plastic on the left leg dead pedal? Why not at least silver plastic?

They missed a piece of silver trim to the right of the steering column - I wonder if this was to reduce assembly times?

Like the Golf and JSW/GW, the 2011 VW Jetta won't have a fuel door open button next to the trunk open button.

On a side note, I tried setting my computer clock ahead a few days to see if it would unlock any content on the new Jetta preview page on VW's website. I didn't expect the live video to move because it's streaming and nothing else was revealed. Thanks for the post!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hey Quailallstar! Thanks for the sneek peek! Based on what I see here, I'm glad I didn't wait for the '11s. The sharp crease on the door panels is too much - like somebody else said - a bmw wannabe look. I do like the larger dials on the climate control, I just can't get used to the mini ones on my '10. Also I'll miss the smiling grill, as dorkey as it is, I find it somewhat endearing. Everybody has posted great comments - fun to get their take.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm surprised nobody mentioned the lip spoiler. It looks like it juts out by a good inch and a half and for all those people who park too close to the concrete bumpers or curb, it will get ripped off easily.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Higher resolution without watermarks ;)

·
Registered
148 Posts
I guess this is a "must see in person" type car. While the inside is as I expect, Golf style but with leather, the outside needs to be viewed up close to see the true effect of surface detailing.

Right now, off hand the Camry looks less bland.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
What's missing? It looks like it's the final model.
On the plane of the silver trim on the door, above the ignition switch, and above the glove box, there is no silver trim between the steering column and center console. Older cars had one. It could be a photoshop mistake but I'm guessing it was removed to reduce assembly time and the cost of the car. The Golf 6 and other 2010 models had some things like revised wiring and combined electronics modules to reduce assembly time because it cost too much to build. I'm guessing the Jetta was also revised with this in mind. Obviously they are looking to build any car as efficiently as possible.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I guess this is a "must see in person" type car. While the inside is as I expect, Golf style but with leather, the outside needs to be viewed up close to see the true effect of surface detailing.

Right now, off hand the Camry looks less bland.
Gotta agree with this. Looks like the Jetta evolved into an Accord in terms of styling. Big yawn. Hope it's better in person. People with 2010's should be happy !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts