VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have OBD 11 software from vag com which I got for my 2001 VW Jetta gasser. Will that software work for my 2011 SprtwagenTDI or do I need to get VCDS? I'm assuming that VCDS is a diesel only application but want to make sure before I spend money

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Moved to VCDS section.

It works on all VW-Audi-Seat-Skoda that have compatible interface. The KII cable only works on pre-Can bus crs. The CAN BUS cable also works on older cars. The micro CAN cable only works on can bus. Can bus is generally mk5 and newer.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Moved to VCDS section.

It works on all VW-Audi-Seat-Skoda that have compatible interface. The KII cable only works on pre-Can bus crs. The CAN BUS cable also works on older cars. The micro CAN cable only works on can bus. Can bus is generally mk5 and newer.
UM...........Can you explain that in English?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
VCDS is the new name for vag com software. I think they changed because VAG is a trademark of vw auto group.

Your cable is probably the one that only works on cars up to mk4, 4th gen VW like yours. Gneerally speaking, starting with the 5th generation cars, the diagnostics used something called can bus. This is basically a way to redesign the electronics system of the car by using modules. The cable for only older cars won't work with it because it talks differently. this is probably the one you have.

The cable for newer cars works on all.

The basic cable for newer cars only works on newer cars that use can bus and is not backwards compatible.

You can use either the newer one or the basic newer one to use with your new Sportwagen. If you have a genuine ross ttech cable with the self activating software feature, I would sell it and buy the newer one that works on older cars too. It's expensive but you'll get most of your money back when selling the used cable because the software follows the cable and has value.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Still got the software installed but no disc. So it looks like Im keeping the old one for the old car.

What's the difference between the new basic and the new other one in terms of functionality and cost?

·
Super Moderator
9,557 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts