VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever used Nu-Finish Car polish? It comes in an orange bottle and is a white liquid. You just rub it on liberally and and dries to a white haze and then you rub it off. The car looks really shiny and feels really slick. You can see the water bead off the paint. It's a once yearly application, but they do recommend a second coat 2-3 weeks after the first coat.
Secondly, does anyone really bother with the paint chips on the hood from rocks, etc? Mine haven't started to rust yet.

·
Super Moderator
9,579 Posts
Welcome to the froum. welcometomyturbodies

Now I've used AutoGlym Super Resin Polish for years. You cover the car with it by the time you have finished its dried and you just polish it off. One coat will last for more than a year not 2 weeks? I'm not sure if you can get this in the States?

Autoglym Introducing Five New Products at SEMA

Yes you are better of doing any stone chips first as mine is a white primer and it will show through.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
I tried turtle wax ice. They also sell a detailer to be used between waxes. One good thing about this wax you can get it on trim or bumper and it will come out, no residue. It does dry fast. Ive also used Liquid glass polish dont know if it is still available.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Nufinish?

Nufinish works very poorly. Turtlte wax rubing conpound and then wax works well. For a pro looking job Griots garage sells very high quality wax and cleaning supplies at reasonable prices. Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Nufinish works very poorly. Turtle wax rubing conpound and then wax works well. For a pro looking job Griots garage sells very high quality wax and cleaning supplies at reasonable prices. Just my 2 cents.
Could you say a little more about why you think NuFinish is poor and clarify whether you have experience with Nufinish liquid or paste or both?

I've got a 21 year old Miata with perfect paint that has had most of its waxings with NuFinish liquid. (IMHO the paste isn't as good--harder to apply and dries out too easily in the can. Paste felt a bit gritty, too.)

I tried NuFinish originally because it was tested by Consumer Reports and was their top choice. (I was very reluctant to try anything with an "As seen on TV label," but I chose to trust a relatively scientific test.) I don't know if NuFinish liquid is the best wax you can get, but my experience shows it's not a poor wax. I don't own stock or work for NuFinish. And I'll switch away from them in a moment if I find a wax that's better. My investment in the wax is like $10. My time and my car are way more important than brand loyalty.

So, which Griot's wax do you recommend? Any reasons why you think this is so good?

Not trying to play gotcha here, but "this is bad, that is good" doesn't help make informed decisions.

You must have reasons for your opinions--tell us why you like Griot's so much and NuFinish so little. (And tell us which Griot's we should get. Best of Show, Carnauba, or Spray-on.) I don't want to spend my time using a sub-standard wax. If you can show me a good reason why, I'll switch. Thanks in advance for your time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I like nufinish I use it on my boats and all my cars including my corvette. It lasts, looks good and is easy to apply. I am also curious to why you say it is no good.
steve

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
I like nufinish I use it on my boats and all my cars including my corvette. It lasts, looks good and is easy to apply. I am also curious to why you say it is no good.
steve
I agree, but always happy to switch if someone has a better product

·
Registered
23 Posts
NU-Finish works great as protectant to shed water, road grime, tree sap, and bird [email protected] In my opinion better at protection than beauty.

I use other brands for high gloss and depth on play toys.

But for a daily driver, NU-Finish is an outstanding paint sealant - you won't be receiving comments on deep luster and shine - but oh that water does bead.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've used it for years

I started using Nu Finish back in the mid 80's on my old Dodge Charger and still use it today. It provides a great base coat for protection and shine. Here's how I would recommend using the product. Use Nu Finish the very first time that you wash and wax your new Audi. Then wash and wax it with Nu Finish again within 30 days. Repeat this process once a year and your Audi will stay looking like new. If you have a used Audi, then this process will keep the finish from looking any worse. If you want to boost the shine in between Nu Finish treatments, then wash and polish with a good Carnauba wax (like Mothers) or wash and use a quick shine product like Turtle-wax Ice.

I have also found that the base coast of Nu Finish is the best protection against damage from bird droppings, which will eat through the carnauba coat but not become a permanent stain thanks to the Nu Finish base coat. Best of all, Nu Finish is easy to apply and even easier to buff off, you can even do it in hot weather and direct sunlight. My experience has taught me, however, to use a light touch when buffing it off. If you use a heavy hand then it will be harder to buff off. However, if you use a light touch it buffs off to a beautiful gloss shine.

As for chips on your hood, I would recommend just treating them with Nu Finish/wax as mentioned above, unless they start to rust. I tried touching mine up with touch-up paint from the dealer and they look worse.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I use NU-Finish on my 5ER keeping the Nu-Finish off of the decals as this will cause them to curl and peel. I can apply the Nu-finish in direct sunlight that is why I use this on the 5ER since it is 13FT tall.

I use Meguiar’s products on my Ram and the Jetta they make a full line of car care products and I have had great success with them. I have even found a good tire care compound from Meguiar’s called “The Professional Vinyl & Rubber cleaner and conditioner 40â€￾ and NAPA sells it so I can buy it locally.

Jim W.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts