VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up? Not only am I new to VW but I am new to diesel engines. So I'm sure I will find this forum VERY useful. So here is an advanced "THANKS!" to all contributors.
I just bought a used 2003 Jetta GLS TDi on 26 October. I got it specifically for the MPG and started looking around for forums and have been getting excited about owning one due to comments on this forum and the VWVortex and TDiClub forums.
I live in Richlands, NC. If there is anyone else on here in the area and knows of a good imports mechanic around please hit me up. I would like to do a lot of my own work but I don't have a lot of tools I'm sure I'll need. However, that is a good excuse for the wife to start getting what I don't have....:nana2:

Later,
Alex

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Welcome! VW uses many torx bolts and some triple square (12 point) bolts. Get a good set of those. Feel free to become a contributor too, there is a writeup contest for new writeups at this site.

GLS has some good options, you will like the car if you take care of it.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Hi Noob, I fix my own car whenever it's broke or I just want to interfere with it and my tool kit's a bit rubbish, but I've never not done it. Just have to be more inventive, I've made countless tools with a 5in grinder and a bits of rusty steel. Just get the tools as you go, simple socket set' some spanners etc. You can usually hire the more complex ones or borrow. Where there's a will there's a way lol.:nana2:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I don't know a whole lot when it comes to working on vehicles but with good how to's such as what I have seen here I can get through. I have a Triumph Daytona 675 and have done a lot of my own work on it thanks to the how to's on a Triumph forum.
I had to go out and get a set of torx keys already cause their was a loose piece of plexiglass in the driver side door that was in the way of my window rolling down. My next job will be to replace the head unit with my Kenwood DNX7100 that was in my previous vehicle. Real nice system if you haven't seen it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts