VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 09 jetta tdi, when the engine is cold there is just normal diesel engine noise, after it reaches normal operating temp I can hear a noise that sounds like a fan or pump running. The noise is constant no change in pitch or speed which leads me to believe it is a fuel pump. With the hood open I can trace the sound to the auxiliary fuel pump fuel filter area. Both fuel line from tank and return to tank have noticeable vibration which leads me to believe that the aux fuel pump is defective or failing. It doesn't seem to have any effect on the performance.

By noisy I mean windows up AC and radio on and you can still hear it.

What do you guy's think?

Thanks Randy

2009 Jetta TDI 6 sp manual 62,000 mi.
2004 Ford F 250 6.0 power stroke diesel

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Vibration like humming or vibration like it's going to shake itself apart? Try opening your fuel filter, if you see metal flakes in there, take a fuel sample in a clean container and then go to the dealer. See if they have anything to say about it. There's a writeup in the FAQ on more on bad fuel pumps. There is a small filter before that fuel pump though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No vibration like it was trying to self destruct, just what seems to be above normal noise from a fuel pump. It almost sounds like a large exhaust fan when you are in sitting, in neutral with the radio off. Parked, engine on, hood open, the noise and vibration are traceable to the aux fuel pump. I was planning to open the fuel filter and see whats in there but was more worried that the aux pump may cause hpfp failure.

It is normal to hear the aux fuel pump running?

Thanks Randy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
noisy aux fuel pump

Vibration like humming or vibration like it's going to shake itself apart? Try opening your fuel filter, if you see metal flakes in there, take a fuel sample in a clean container and then go to the dealer. See if they have anything to say about it. There's a writeup in the FAQ on more on bad fuel pumps. There is a small filter before that fuel pump though.
Checked the fuel filter, good news, no metal flakes. Bad news, noise still there. Any suggestion for online parts dealers? The ones I found don't have it or only have the lift pump, the dealer quoted me $325.00. All the local parts stores don't have it.

If the pump prefilter was restricted wouldn't the noise be constant rather than only when the engine is at operating temp?

Thanks Randy

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Isn't this a warranty issue?

You can try worldimpex or 1stvwparts for OEM parts.

Don't know about the noise. Are you sure it's not the intake air or some other noise?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
noisy aux pump

Pretty sure it's the pump, did the screw driver to the unit and listened to confirm. The car has 62000 miles on it so it's out of the warranty period. Thanks for the leads, I'll check them out and post when I'm done replacing the parts.

Thanks Randy

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Randy, you can use VCDS or a set of jumper wires to run the boost pump. Then you wouldn't be trying to hear what its doing while the engine is running. Not sure what would be going on that it would be making so much noise. Its sort of a cool design. Roller cell design.

Here's a pic of one I took apart. Fuel flows right through the armature and other internal parts. There is a screen right at the hpfp that is pretty fine and should catch any debris from a failing boost pump.

If you replace the boost pump it may be a good idea to take it apart to see if it has shed any material. If so, you may want to replace the fuel temp sensor thats right on top of the hpfp. The fuel temp sensor contains the screen that protects the hpfp.

Below pic: fuel temperature sensor. Location: mounted to the inlet fuel supply port of the hpfp.

Below pic: fine screen that is inside of the fuel temp sensor. Protects the hpfp from a debris of a failing or failed boost pump.

dweisel

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
That screen is on the supply fuel not the return fuel
Orangeya glad I'm not going to make a smart remark about your understanding of the fuel system.
dweisel

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Randy, you can use VCDS or a set of jumper wires to run the boost pump. Then you wouldn't be trying to hear what its doing while the engine is running. Not sure what would be going on that it would be making so much noise. Its sort of a cool design. Roller cell design.

Here's a pic of one I took apart. Fuel flows right through the armature and other internal parts. There is a screen right at the hpfp that is pretty fine and should catch any debris from a failing boost pump.

If you replace the boost pump it may be a good idea to take it apart to see if it has shed any material. If so, you may want to replace the fuel temp sensor thats right on top of the hpfp. The fuel temp sensor contains the screen that protects the hpfp.

Below pic: fuel temperature sensor. Location: mounted to the inlet fuel supply port of the hpfp.

Below pic: fine screen that is inside of the fuel temp sensor. Protects the hpfp from a debris of a failing or failed boost pump.

dweisel
Thanks for the pictures and info, I don't have a VCDS but I saw your post about jumping the pump. The noise is loud enough to isolate it without using the jumper, thanks for the advice on the fuel temp sensor, I'll order that with the pump tomorrow.

Thank you to everyone for sharing their knowledge, I'll post the results when I get the parts changed out.

Aloha Randy

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Oh, no offense taken. I was just having fun too. Yea, those orange cast pics aren't the best,but its the only ones I had.

dweisel

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Been Super busy with work, finally got a chance to replace the intermediate pump and fuel filter. Bought a lap top and VCDS to make life a little easier. First opened the fuel filter housing, no shavings or other rubbish, replaced filter, poured in clean fuel, changed gaskets and closed canister. Remove and replace int fuel pump from 1st VW, pretty straight forward with no problems although there is much less space to work in compared to my truck. Check and recheck hoses, everything secure. Left fuel pump unplugged for pump priming, ran lift pump 3 cycles then plugged in int pump and ran 3 more cycles, started it up and so far things sound better, no loud humming noise. Good news, I saved a bunch of money and not through Geico!! Thanks to everyone for sharing their knowledge, Aloha Randy

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Left fuel pump unplugged for pump priming, ran lift pump 3 cycles then plugged in int pump and ran 3 more cycles, started it up and so far things sound better, no loud humming noise.
Good thinking on leaving the aux pump unplugged at first to get some fuel through it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts