VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got this noise that sounds like when you hit the rumble strips on the edge of the high way but doesn't shake the whole car like the rumble strips do [just makes the noise and vibrates]. It comes from the engine bay and only happens when the engine is at relatively high loads... I've read a little bit (well as much as I can) about the dmf and was wondering if its possible that it could be making these noises. and if its not the dmf, WHAT IS IT?

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will take i video next time it does it but I just drove 50 miles home from school for the weekend and it didn't do it once!
however, it was making bad noises at idle similar to the noises my brothers american car ('93pontiac grand am 3300) made when his harmonic balancer went out. it sounded like the thing was gonna explode.

It sounds like something is hitting something repeatedly but only at idle speeds. It sort of sounds like a jack hammer hitting the sub frame.
I'm not sure if the two noises are related or not.... hopefully ..... we just put like 400 bucks into it last week!

I will work on that video

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
video

this is the noise its making at idle...
its harder to hear from inside the car on the video, but with the bear ear its noticeable.
(sorry about poor quality, its just video off of my phone.)

it hasn't done the loaded noise yet...

/Users/Andrew/Desktop/Beetle Noise 1.mp4

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
guess i'm a little confused on how to attach videos...:eek:

what file type does it have to be?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think maybe the flywheel is messed up. They can also give a sensation at Idle almost like a misfiring/ rough running. You can get aftermarket kits that have a G60 Corrado flywheel and a VR6 plate and disc. Look under the car an see if the "dogbone" lower mount is broken, or the bolts fell out . That would also make a solid rattling noise on the subframe. Hope this helps..L

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The fly wheel really seems to be the problem...$$$ =[ =[
also when the shifter is in the neutral position and the clutch pedal is pressed in and held for a few seconds, then released at a relatively fast rate, it can cause the engine to do the noise stutter thing.
also when it does hit hard I can feel it in the clutch pedal quite nicely when just setting my foot on it.

also, it has been making a whistle/screeching noise with light load, but not heavier load. (i kinda thought it might have been egr leak but i was just through and had the whole egr system apart because of timing belt/intake/vnt cleaning)

I will check dog bone tomorrow and get back with you

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm about 200 miles away from turning over 175,000 miles

at about 150,000 we had to replace the clutch lever and we put a clutch disk and pressure plate in while we were there. we took the fly wheel to a machine shop AND a vw dealer and they both said it was fine.

I was skeptical however....
because it didn't seem right. when I moved the two pieces of the flywheel, it moved about an inch [1 inch arc length in a circle] and it made a clicking sound each time I spun the two pieces in opposite directions [by hand]. i'm not sure how much its supposed to move, but it just didn't seem right.
with vw saying it was ok, I eventually trusted them and put it back on.

hope you can make sense of that... its almost one in the morning here right now :ugh

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
guess i'm a little confused on how to attach videos...:eek:

what file type does it have to be?
Unfortunatelyyou can't upload .mp4 movie files here. They are just way too large and it's not an option for this forum software anyways.

The address you gave is on your computer, nobody can see what's on your computer. You have to upload it to something like youtube and then you just have to paste the internet address, or URL here to have it show.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you could move the flywheel an inch when you did the clutch before it was already shot and the dude @ the dealer had his head up his....... ! I believe Sachs makes a kit to do away with the DMF and it uses the Corrado part

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
I had a feeling.....:ugh :bangshead
so i've been driving on it for 15,000 miles since the clutch job.
how long can I drive it safely before I have a catastrophic failure?
I use it to drive to and from school on the weekends... 200 to 350 miles per week tops.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
It sort of sounds like the noise my engine was making. In my case it turned out to be a broken lifter, and I've read many a post that detail people with similar problems. Just to be sure, you should pop the valve cover off, and check the cam for wear, and the lifters for cracking, breaking, etc.

I wouldn't drive the car any more until you figure what's causing the noise. If something does break, the damage could be very expensive to fix.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It sort of sounds like the noise my engine was making. In my case it turned out to be a broken lifter, and I've read many a post that detail people with similar problems. Just to be sure, you should pop the valve cover off, and check the cam for wear, and the lifters for cracking, breaking, etc.

I wouldn't drive the car any more until you figure what's causing the noise. If something does break, the damage could be very expensive to fix.

I just had the head off with the intake and vnt cleaning, and put new valve seals in, not 400 miles ago. it all was wearing just fine. head is in great shape. its been making this noise for a long time... we have had the car ever since 2004, and we noticed a very small shudder (same noise but not nearly as severe) in it then. At that time, it had about 120,000 miles on it.
this was when I was 12 years old, so I didn't have much say in the matter of getting it fixed, nor did I know much at all about anything :D

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
here is a better video with the hood up so you can here the engine better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAqMFAy3ufk

It usually starts even harder than this!
esp if its colder
it was about 28F there that day
when its in the single digits sometimes I don't think it'll ever start! :panic:
i gotta get my timing done...
offtopic2

but this post is about the stutter...
the previous video was taken when the engine was warm (drove 10 miles)
so now there are two engine temperatures for all of you to compare
it seems like the noise is sharper sounding when the flywheel is warmed up.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Where's the rest of your front end? It does sound bad though and just about hurt my ears, not that you'd notice though with that ear defending hat:D

1 - 20 of 49 Posts