VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 2011 Jetta Sportwagen and have noticed that sometimes after I shut the car down after driving up the hill to my house there is a strange noise that appears to be coming from the exhaust valve (behind the NOX catalyst). Sounds like it's cycling, making a clicking/high pitched sort of sound. Is this normal?

Also, does this car have a coolant circulation pump like the 2.0 FSI does? Is there any need to let it idle after a hard run or is the coolant circulated automatically?

thx,

Dan

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: coolant circulation pump - no. The turbo is oil cooled only as well. Yes, 20 seconds of idling or a few minutes of normal driving after a hard run can't hurt.

Behind the NOX cat there's a backpressure valve. Take a look at this FAQ for pics: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/DPF-Adblue-FAQ-VW-Audi.htm
Thanks Chitty. The reason I ask about the coolant circulation pump is that on page 43 of the VW treatise describing this engine (http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_316.pdf), there is a reference to 2 V 178, Engine Coolant Circulation Pump. Is that something different?

Yes, understand there is a back pressure valve behind the NOX catalyst. My question is if it's normal for this valve to very audibly cycle after a hot shutdown.

thx,

Dan

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Chitty. The reason I ask about the coolant circulation pump is that on page 43 of the VW treatise describing this engine (http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_316.pdf), there is a reference to 2 V 178, Engine Coolant Circulation Pump. Is that something different?

Yes, understand there is a back pressure valve behind the NOX catalyst. My question is if it's normal for this valve to very audibly cycle after a hot shutdown.

thx,

Dan
Wrong document link....here's the correct one.

Sorry,

Dan

http://www.scribd.com/doc/40498380/Diesel-Engine-2-0L-TDI-Common-Rail

·
Premium Member
9,654 Posts
Welcome to the forum Dan. welcometomyturbodies

Also, does this car have a coolant circulation pump like the 2.0 FSI does? Is there any need to let it idle after a hard run or is the coolant circulated automatically?
Its not so much to keep the coolant circulating Dan.

Yes I commented on a question in a VW forum yesterday over letting the engine idle Post #12 - Do you guys idle your GTI before turn it off? ;)

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I haven't heard of other people with this noise so I'm leaning towards not normal. The spring could have some problem, rust, corrosion, or have something stuck in it?

Thanks Chitty. The reason I ask about the coolant circulation pump is that on page 43 ....there is a reference to 2 V 178, Engine Coolant Circulation Pump. Is that something different?
I never noticed that reference, interesting.

However, I don't believe there is any aux electric pump on the engine. Looking at the parts catalog and manual I see no reference to any water pump other than the one driven by the timing belt. The thing pictured looks like the coolant pump off a CBFA/CCTA gas engine, not a diesel. V177 is the radiator fan, I don't know what V178 is.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've not heard the sound of the water being circulated as I did on my 2006 GTi FSI, so although there seems to be a reference to a circulation pump, perhaps it doesn't really exist. Very odd. Keith seems to suggest that a pump does in fact exist, but also suggests that it has a different purpose. Perhaps he can elaborate on that.

As for the strange sounds post shutdown after heading up the hill, I'll crawl under the car tomorrow and take a look. Given the same apparent series of sounds each time I hear it, I tend to believe that it is intentional. Does VAG COM allow for testing this component?

thx,

Dan

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Another possibilty, if you have a helper turn the car on/off, all newer TDI have self calibrating valves (I forget off top of head intake or EGR valve, same location), you can hear high pitched whining/gear sound winding down.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that's what it sounds like. Happens about 1/4 the time after I shut the car off....but it's definitely in the area of the exhaust block-off valve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts