VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

noise at low speeds

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  iansw 
#1 ·
I just noticed that I am getting a noise while turning the wheel. I don't think it's the wheel bearings. I've been doing some searching and it looks like the cv joints, sway bar links, or power steering. It's more of a moaning than a click.

#2 ·
It's hard to diagnose a noise over the internet but that sounds like it could be normal power steering noise. If it's worse when you are all the way at the end of wheel travel, it's probably just the power steering pump groaning. Clicking while turning hard in the parking lot is normally broken CV joints, sway bar links are more of a clunk while going up the driveway or over a bump.

#4 ·
Mine does that too, as far as I'm concerned, it's normal. It's just the power steering pump groaning because it's all the way at the end, however it should not groan in the middle, this could be low fluid. Make sure to check the power steering fluid and if it's fine I would just let live.

#5 ·
Okay, I don't know how I didn't notice this but I am not convinced that the power steering is making the noise. It matches what you said, it is definitely loudest when the power steering is all the way to the end. Can you drive without the power steering?

#6 ·
If you mean drive without power steering, no it'll wreck the pump. If it's an emergency, you can cut the belt but the alternator won't work either and the battery will drain and leave you stranded.

If you mean put in a manual steering rack, which I don't think you do, then yes, but it'll be heavy if you don't know what manual steering is like.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.