VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed that I am getting a noise while turning the wheel. I don't think it's the wheel bearings. I've been doing some searching and it looks like the cv joints, sway bar links, or power steering. It's more of a moaning than a click.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
It's hard to diagnose a noise over the internet but that sounds like it could be normal power steering noise. If it's worse when you are all the way at the end of wheel travel, it's probably just the power steering pump groaning. Clicking while turning hard in the parking lot is normally broken CV joints, sway bar links are more of a clunk while going up the driveway or over a bump.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, thank you. I believe that it's the pump. Does this mean that the pump is on it's way out?

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Mine does that too, as far as I'm concerned, it's normal. It's just the power steering pump groaning because it's all the way at the end, however it should not groan in the middle, this could be low fluid. Make sure to check the power steering fluid and if it's fine I would just let live.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, I don't know how I didn't notice this but I am not convinced that the power steering is making the noise. It matches what you said, it is definitely loudest when the power steering is all the way to the end. Can you drive without the power steering?

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
If you mean drive without power steering, no it'll wreck the pump. If it's an emergency, you can cut the belt but the alternator won't work either and the battery will drain and leave you stranded.

If you mean put in a manual steering rack, which I don't think you do, then yes, but it'll be heavy if you don't know what manual steering is like.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts