VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum. Thank you for being here:) I own a 2003 Golf TDI. Because of your forum, I was able to understand a few things that I've experienced with my car. #1 is that around the time I purchased the car in 2008, it would loose power going up hills especially on longer trips. Eventually, I figured out that I could pull over the side of the road, turn off the car, restart and the car would get its power back but the engine light would still remain on. At the time, I was dealing with a "stealership" that couldn't tell me what was wrong even when I told them how it was acting. So I just lived with it. Which brings me to about 4 months ago. I noticed that the coolant was leaking and found out that I needed the water pump replaced... the "stealership" said they also wanted to replace the timing belt while they were at it... about $2500-$3000 when all said and done. Because I didn't have that kind of money, I waited a bit and found an independent mechanic who said he could work on it... others said only the dealer could change timing belts. Anyway, what finally got me to stop procrastinating the repairs, was one day there was no longer any boost to the turbo. I brought it to the aforementioned mechanic who replaced the water pump and timing belt and at the same time changed some oil seals and cleaned up the oil mess that was in and around the turbo. He diagnosed it as no boost to turbo and assumed that it was the turbo that needed to be replaced. Since I did not have $1600 to buy a new turbo, I figured out a scheme where another mechanic took off the turbo and I shlepped it down to a place that specializes in rebuilding turbos. I took the rebuilt turbo back to the mechanic, he popped it back on and crap! Still no boost to the turbo. So, 2 days, and $700 later (better than $1600 plus), not counting the $1400 and almost a week and a half at the shop who diagnosed it as a bad turbo, I'm back at square one. So now I had a wild hair and began doing internet research and found you guys. I have learned that what I was experiencing early on with intermittent power loss was my vehicle going into Limp Mode (apt name). Also, my newest problem could be an N75, MAF or EGR. I also checked out the vacuum hoses... they are in really bad shape. OK. So any suggestions on what I do now? I'm in Los Angeles and the going rate for diagnosing is around $140 an hour. The mechanic that threw on the rebuilt turbo said it would take several days for him to diagnose the car properly. Is replacing these parts something I can do my self? Oh, and I called AutoZone and they are not offering free computer diagnostics any more... any recommendations? Thank you in advance.http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Well the vacuum pipes are really cheap so I would start there seeing as you say they're a mess anway. The maf or egr are a bit more complicated without vagcom/vcds to get some readings, you could try unplugging the maf to see if the power improves but it's not a deffinite answer, also worth going over the boost pipes to make sure the connections are all tight and secure. If you scan through the faq there's info on the egr and how it gets clogged up, have a look under intake manifold cleaning. Some where to start anyway.:)

welcometomyturbodies

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
It's probably not the MAF since it should give chronic low power although you could have that and not even know it.

Yes, vac lines are the first place to start. Go through the checklist and start doing the check yourself, it's obvious the guys you've been working with don't know TDI.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts