VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 09 Jetta TDI with 229k. The timing belt was changed about 50k back. Starting chugging so I pulled into auto parts store to see if they could pull codes and it wouldn't start again. Acts like no compression. Checked timing belt marks and everything was fine. The first couple turns of the engine it seems fine and even fires but then turns over very easy. Has anybody had this problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 09 Jetta TDI with 229k. The timing belt was changed about 50k back. Starting chugging so I pulled into auto parts store to see if they could pull codes and it wouldn't start again. Acts like no compression. Checked timing belt marks and everything was fine. The first couple turns of the engine it seems fine and even fires but then turns over very easy. Has anybody had this problem.
Been having a problem like this with wife's 09 Golf Plus TDI . Same symptoms, no fault codes. It's happened 4 times since May. It's like it's run out of fuel . I use VCDS and can make both electric fuel pumps run which then seems too prime the system like when you've done a filter change and then car starts. I've also change fuel filter twice and swapped pump relays over. Seems to be running fine again but can't pinpoint what causes it to cut out. Hope this might help.

·
Super Moderator
8,982 Posts
First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Forum Rules and Guidelines

This is a new forum layout with loads of bugs which have been reported in the new thread. There is no TDI Wiki at the moment or or original similes. It doesn't show the car spec/location or signature properly either

We Are Live - Community Feedback

Check the timing belt is still connected.

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had the belt covers off and checked belt. The dowels slide in perfectly and belt looks great. I am having a guy with a snap on modis plug into it tomorrow. I will update then.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Code P0638 was stored so I took the actuator off and it was stuck closed. I think that's why it was turning over so funny. I tapped on the flap and got it loose, reset the codes and it started right up

·
Super Moderator
8,982 Posts
VAG Error Code: 17022/001592/5308

EOBD II Error Code: P0638

Fault Location:
Throttle Body Actuator (J338), Bank 1 - Range/Performance Problem/Implausible Signal

Possible Cause:
Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.

Basic setting not carried out (if applicable).
Idle speed control (ISC) actuator/throttle motor.
Accelerator pedal position sensor.
Drive-by-wire control system malfunction.
Throttle valve malfunction.
Throttle Body Actuator (J338).
Powertrain Control Module (PCM) malfunction.

Possible Solutions:

Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).

Tech Notes:
Dirty or clogged throttle body can triggered the P0638 code. Before replacing any parts try cleaning the throttle body and reset the engine light.

Description:
The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) compares the actual Throttle Position (TP) with the target TP when the engine is running. If the difference is more than the specification, the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) determines that there is a throttle actuator control circuit range/performance problem.

As taken from my new Free EOBD II Error Codes software

1 - 6 of 6 Posts