VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 ALH manual trans Jetta shut off and then would not restart. It ran again the next day for an hour and then died again. I checked everything I knew to try and then took it to the dealership. They told me my IP was out and I needed a new one. I decided to bring it home and do it myself (3,000 dollars at the dealer) and also do the timing belt. Performed everything per directions on here and still cannot get it to start. I have double checked the timing and bleed the air out at the injectors and by placing vaccum on the blue arrowed return line. I was not getting any codes before, I will double check again but does anyone have an idea. Relay 109 is GOOD. I have a vag com is there anything I should look at or just take it back to the dealership?

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Did you loosen the fuel pipe nuts a fraction on the injectors? It should start to seep out then the engine should start to catch as you crank.:)

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
An engine needs: fuel, air, and compression. It's unlikely there's any problem with compression.

Air: the only place air can get shut off is if there's a rag in the intake, the anti shudder valve is closed, or there's another air blockage. Even if the snowscreen were clogged, there's another axillary air intake there that should open. And you'd have to have a massive furball on the air filter for it to clog there.

Fuel: this is the most likely: if you see squirting fuel at the injectors you're getting fuel. Keep cranking but don't burn out the starter so only run it 10 secs at a time with a good rest between cranks.

If you don't see fuel, check the injection pump shutoff solenoid, wiring, codes. Pumping the accelerator pedal will do nothing since it's drive by wire.

Yes it's possible for the ecu to be faulty but this is rare.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts