VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 ALH manual trans Jetta will not start. I checked the codes a while back and did not find any codes relevant to a no start condition. When I turn the starter over I do not see any rpms registering on the tach. I replaced the crank sensor and it did not help. One day while idling the motor just shut off and would not refire. After letting the car sit it refired and ran for 30 minutes before it shut down again. Now it will not refire at all. After changing the crank sensor I tried to recheck the codes and my reader said data link error. Any ideas.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
109 relay?, Is fuel reaching the injectors? I don't remember if my rev counter does anything when cranking.

The 109 is a common fault and I think it's supposed to be grey now if it's been changed but if it's black it's the old one and might be worth trying.

You could crack the injector nuts a little where the pipes join on and there should be fuel coming out, you might want to use a cloth though and watch diesel doesn't get in your eyes.:)

welcometomyturbodies

·
Registered
21 Posts
I checked relay 109 and it is good(the gray one with 100 on the back right?). I am getting fuel to the injectors( I cracked a line at the injector and turned motor over). I opened the top of the fuel filter and it appeared to have lost it's prime so I filled the filter and it now seems to keep primed now. When the problem started I could hook my generic code reader up and it would read, now it will not. Does anyone know if they can see the rpm needle move before the engine starts, mine does not. I also observed that after trying to start the engine the fans cam on and continued to run with the key out! I do not think this is normal. I disconnected the battery and reconnected it to see if that would help as well. Any ideas.

Only issues the car has had before is the theft light came on and the dealer replaced the cluster and the reader module. No theft light on at this time.

Also probably not related but the cruise control sometimes will not engage. started this about a month ago.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Have you had a good look around in the engine bay to make sure the wiring looks fine? Maybe there's some frayed wiring causing wierd issues. My rev counter doesn't move when cranking because all the power gets diverted to starting the engine so everything not needed gets no power, also have you checked all the fuses including the big ones in the engine bay, I think they're on top of the battery maybe but not sure on your car? Is the ecu nice and dry? .:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No wiring looks bad, when the car died it was idling and not moving both times. I would think that if it was a broke wire or connection it would have shown up when I drive down bumpy dirt roads and not sitting still idling. any idea on what could keep it from firing even though it is getting fuel. I thought it might have something to do with injector timing such as a bad crank sensor but now I am lost.

·
Premium Member
9,665 Posts
Well the only reason a diesel stops running for what every reason is lack of fuel. So you need to check all items that control the fuel delivery in any way.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Maybe a fault with the ip or bad fuel, it might be an idea to get someone with vagcom/vcds to try reading faults incase there's an issue with your scanner or the ecu itself, tricky one though but hopefully it'll be something simple that we're all missing somehow.:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts