VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 2001 VW Beetle TDI 5 Speed was running great up until about a month ago. I drive 120 miles a day and have put 50,000 miles on it in the past yes and a half. Runs great and gets around 50 mpg. I was headed home from work and pulled over for a soda. When I got back in to start it, it revved to about 2000 RPMs. I thought maybe I had my foot in the pedal so didn’t think much of it. As I pulled out onto the road it wouldn’t build boost and wouldn’t rev over 3000 RPMs. I pulled over to see if maybe I blew a hose or had a loose connection. Couldn’t find anything. I started it again (making sure my foot was no where near the pedal) and it revved to 2000 RPMs again. I have been fighting this ever since. Only revs high when the engine is warm. And won’t make power or build boost. My mileage hasn’t changed at all, I’m still getting close to 50 mpg. It doesn’t blow smoke at all. Idles fine. Just no power.

Changed MAF to a new Bosch, no change. Runs the same with MAF unplugged.

Checked all my hose connections including vacuum lines, everything is fine. Replaced N75 valve with no change. Bypassed N75 valve and ran 100 percent boost, no change. Cleaned air filter and box, no change.

Checked turbo actuator, it is operating as it should with no resistance. Pulled inlet side of turbo and the turbo spins freely. I have a 3” exhaust and so the turbo whistle is very distinct. The sound has not changed. I do not suspect the turbo is the problem.

Fuel filter was replaced about 10,000 miles ago. I use Rotella T6 motor oil and change that and the filter every 10,000.

I’m lost. I don’t know what else to do. It came on so suddenly that it has got to be something dumb. I can’t imagine the intake is clogged or the turbo needs replaced.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Vacuum lost? I lost vacuum on the BEW, that has the dual pump. I am not that familiar with the ALH, I believe you have only a vacuum pump. The one manufacture has the nipple in the casting, the Bosch has the nipple threaded into the pump. With the "cheap" pump the nipple gets loose, no way to tighten it up. Changed the pump and no more issues. You can check your vacuum, use a long hose and check it while you drive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So last week I did notice that nipple is loose. Just waiting for the replacement pump. Hopefully that fixes the problem. Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts