VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( Too bad, Honda does their homework when it comes to engines. The relevant part below:

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=858749

Honda's message at the 2009 Tokyo Motor Show was very clear, and this message was reinforced by CEO Takanobu Ito during a Q&A session that was held for North American media at Honda's headquarters in Tokyo this afternoon. The topics ranged from Honda's position on BEVs (Battery-powered Electric Vehicles) to their plans for future sports cars, but for the most part the conversations always circled back to Honda's view of eco-technologies: Hybrid Electric Vehicles in the near- to mid-term, and hydrogen fuel cell vehicles for the long run.

I asked about the status of A-VTEC and i-DTEC. I think the question was interpreted differently than I intended because Ito-san spoke mostly about how VTEC technology could be used to reduce pumping losses during cylinder idling and regenerative braking functions.

A followup question from a journalist in the audience specifically asked about Honda's plans for diesel. Essentially, Honda has shelved their plans for introducing diesel in the US, and there were several factors involved. First off, development was delayed by about a year due to difficulties meeting emissions regulations. Honda resolved the difficulties, but the solutions were costly. Faced with these costs, Honda's board of directors ultimately gave up on the idea of offering diesel technology in the US. However, Honda are continuing to work on the technology in hopes of making the costs more reasonable.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Too bad, I remember hearing that the Civic i-Dtec was getting 72 real world highway! Honda makes great engines but they are heading towards minivan land.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The car is on sale in Europe. They would just need crash testing and tweaks on the emissions system to sel it in the US. What am I missing here?:dunno

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It just costs too much. For example, VW has lots of TDI engines in Europe but they don't bring them here because they can't make a big profit on them. Who cares if it's what the customer wants, a car company is in the business of making money, not making customers happy.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
They can't sell diesels for the same reason why Toyota won't - they have put their money on hybrids. Honda only considered it because their hybrids haven't been as successful as Toytoa's. Even still, sticking Adblue on a civic diesel would have been worth it!

·
Registered
1 Posts
The weakened dollar doesn't help either. Most of the stuff we will get here is being made in Mexico so they can make a profit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts