VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting no heat on the passenger side. Fell like the air is coming from outside
The driver side is working good, I can adjust the temperature
Any idea?

·
Super Moderator
8,965 Posts
First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Don't think that making an intro will fix this comment as you've already ask the question.

Forum Rules and Guidelines

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry,
It was -2C this morning here in Canada and I am getting more and more disappointed by VW.
I have a 2013 Passat tdi. Two weeks ago I replaced the coolant temperature sensor, last week I replaced the NOx sensor, so I am loosing it.
It is my 3rd Passat and the worst by far.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Is this hard to replace DIY? Mine has same issue... And this after just having replaced the water pump (and timing belt) at only 80000! (I have to say, I love the mileage and the seat comfort on long trips, but the overall quality ~ meh!)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is this hard to replace DIY? Mine has same issue... And this after just having replaced the water pump (and timing belt) at only 80000! (I have to say, I love the mileage and the seat comfort on long trips, but the overall quality ~ meh!)
Most likely you will need a service shop to do it for you. The dashboard has to ne pulled out from inside the car in order to access the heating core. Hope its helpful!

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
HEATER CORE HAS EXTENDED WARRANTY - 120k miles or 10 years.
I have noticed same thing couple weeks ago. Very common problem- clogged heater core. Just had my done by dealer under warranty. No problem at all and heating works very well.
VW actually extended warranty on Passat's for heater core- 120k miles or 10 years. You can actually verify that with your vin number through VW USA web page: go to contact tab- use chat to talk with representative and within less than 5 minutes they will verify it for you.

·
Super Moderator
8,965 Posts

VW actually extended warranty on Passat's for heater core- 120k miles or 10 years. You can actually verify that with your vin number through VW USA web page: go to contact tab- use chat to talk with representative and within less than 5 minutes they will verify it for you.
Can you post this link?

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Here is the link. http://www.vw.com/contact/
At the bottom click on "chat icon" and tell representative that you suspect heater core issue and if they can check your VIN to make sure your car is covered. took me 5 minutes.
Next day went to the dealer and they were not surprised. Dealer told me that he has to run diagnostic first. If it is heater core it will be fully covered( it was) otherwise you might pay for diagnostic fee and find out something else is wrong- heater door actuator etc.
It was so common problem in USA therefore VW issued extended warranty on them. I have received even letter from VW confirming it sometimes last year.
Extended warranty applies also to turbo charger and add blue heater tank- Only USA. Doubt this apply to EU customer.

·
Super Moderator
8,965 Posts
Ok I tried that link shown:

To view our most frequently asked questions, please browse our FAQ Page.

For financing related questions, please contact Volkswagen Credit at 1-800-428-4034, Monday thru Friday from 8 a.m. - 10 p.m. EST.
You may also log on to https://www.vwcredit.com to submit your question via email.

How may I help you
System said:

Thanks for choosing VW Chat! One of our Advocates will be with you shortly. In the meantime, feel free to browse our FAQ Page.

Jennifer W said:

Hello! My name is Jennifer W. How can I help you?

Keithuk said:

I've seen a message on a forum I use all the time saying

Keithuk said:

Jennifer W said:

Thank you for reaching out to us, Keithuk. If you have your VIN available, I will be happy to check and see whether your vehicle has an extended warranty issued on it

Keithuk said:

Is this only for USA a I'm in the UK. WVWZZZ1KZAW******

Jennifer W said:

Ah, I see. Thank you for clarifying. Yes, this chat line is for Volkswagen of America, and we only have information available on U.S. spec vehicles. However, if you contact VW of the UK, they will be able to assist you further. Here is the contact link from their website if you would like to reach out to them: https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/need-help/contact-us

Jennifer W said:

Are you still with me, Keithuk?

Type your message
Your conversation has ended. Click here to request a transcript.
I tried the UK link but as with all chat sites you type in a question and loads of other links show which are nothing to do with my question.

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/need-help/contact-us

It appears this 10 year extended warranty is only for USA.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 13 Passat that turned 121k on my way to dealer with concern of no heat on passenger side. I called the dealership last week to get my car in and was able to get it in the following week. At the time of my call I was just under 120k. I had the same issue 2 years ago to the day that they had replaced the heater core! I’ve driven 49k since then. My daily commute is just shy of 200 miles. The dealership confirmed (within 30 minutes)that it is the heater core again but VW of America will not assist me in any manner because it’s 1000 miles over the warranty!! I’ve owned my own auto shop for 30 years and If I had a customer that I couldn’t help for several days and had a warranty issue such as this I’d take care of them. I’ve been happy with my TDI up to this point, but the fact that they can’t bend for 1k miles and charge me $132.94 for something that I diagnosed myself infuriates me! There is no reason for a heater core to go in 2 years and 49k and VW can’t make an exception for the 1000 miles!!

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
What the heck is going on with these heater cores? What is this sludge that is clogging them? Is it a reaction with different metals not good for the coolant? It should not be happening if it was replaced once already. Has anyone added a bypass coolant filter to try to help catch the slop? What about back washing it with CLR or drain cleaner and blowing it back and forth with compressed air?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't know what is going on I have 2014, TDI and so far changed three times heater core, I mean they gave us warranty on that part 10yrs but still, this is unbelievable!

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Do you think next time it happens you would consider trying to flush it to see if that is a viable option? Or adding a coolant bypass filter for preventive maintenance. What happens when you get to 120k miles and have to do it out of pocket. Replacing doesn't make sense if it keeps happening

·
Registered
6 Posts
I guess even vw can't find root problem, and I guess that's why we are getting extended warranty at least here in Canada on up to 193,000km. I THINK the same warranty applies on TURBO as well. Does anyone knows whether anybody with gas engines has same problem?

Why flashing doesn't work I don't know, vw dealer tried it and it doesn't work, works for a couple of days and same issue, so they had to flash it out and replace heater core and its ok, so might be the issue with a heater core!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts