VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I'm having problems starting my vw 1.9D golf diesel mk3 (1996), and i've noticed that fuel is not getting to the engine. I checked out the fuel relay and fuse, the fuel filter.

So, im guessing the pump it is then...does my vw 1.9D golf diesel mk3 (1996) have a lift pump in the tank?

Any input is very welcome!!

thanks

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
No. What engine is this? IDI or TDI?

It's possible it's clogged at the fuel pickup in the tank. Lift the carpeting and you should see a round port. Remove it and there's another cap on the fuel tank. It could also be a non functional fuel shut off solenoid or wiring.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
To answer the question in the other thread, here are pics of the fuel shut off solenoid in a TDI engine. It should be on the rotor assembly. When you turn the key on it should click and activate, letting fuel pass.

·
Registered
371 Posts
If you slightly loosen a fuel injector line while turning over the engine does fuel come out? Wrap some shop towels around it though or else it'll make a mess.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for input guys!

Im not too familiar with some of the abbreviations. my car is not a turbo though.

Thanks for pics chittychittybangbang.

@Darren, i tried that butnot fuel is getting to the engine, it seems as if something is holding off the flaw of fuel.

Is there a thread where i can read more on my type of car..also, where can i find pics of the fuel shut off solenoid on my type of car?

thanks again

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
OK, Your fuel pump is mechanical instead of electronically controlled. From the fuel tank it goes to the fuel pump to the injectors. It's very simple because there are no electronics. Look at the pump - I believe there's a similar shut off solenoid on yours.

Did you reverse the fuel lines? Is the fuel filter clogged? Is the fuel line clear and not damaged from the fuel tank to the fuel filter?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi,

1. I checked fuel filter so it is not clogged up. Also, I can't see any damage from the fuel line from the fuel tank to the fuel filter.

Regarding reversing the fuel lines, u mean changing fuel lines?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Sorry, no pictures. It should be in a similar place. You could also try asking on vwdiesel.net, they know a lot about the older pre-TDI mechanical diesels.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts