VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Just replaced my 2010 with a 2011 TDI wagon and noticed a few differences. Wanted to share and ask advice.

First off the Climatic no longer has degree markers and appears to not adjust the temp according to the setting its on. The temperture dial works like a cheap hot/cold dial. I noticed that the sensors are still next to the dials but apparently they are not working. The build sheet says it has climatic but frankly I can't get it to work. Does anyone know if its possible to get the sensors active and get back to the climatic that was on the 2010??

Other changes:
Larger rear headrests
Anti roll back on 6m trans
Gear and shift indicator on top right of MFI (6m trans)
Better Bluetooth (although I can't seem to get the volume loud enogh. When the phone is loud enough to hear the other person, the bluetooth system is speaker blowing loud when the system talks)
No LED on headliner telling you when the bluetooth is connected
Footwell lighting is now adjustable for brightness and can stay on at various levels when the headlights are on at night
Highbeam is now soft touch and does not stay in the high position. Turn signals still have a softtouch and indent to them

Any help with the Climatic and Bluetooth would be appreciated!

Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the same complaint about the phone volume. Also, voice is unusable. Try hitting voice button when your volume is adjusted that high!!!

How about those crappy dials, not readable unless you bend down because dial sticks out shadowing bottom positions. Passengers unfamiliar have to have the driver adjust for them, shouldn't the passenger be handling that himself so the driver can focus?!

Some mfrs (Volvo?) have really simple, intuitive climate controls. Why reinvent a wheel that is perfect, just to learn unanticipated causes of failure?

And why do away with the set n forget heated seat control?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
The overhead bluetooth LED does not light up. This is just the way the 9w7 bluetooth module is from the factory.

The Climatic should work and control temperature instead of just being a hot-cold button. It's not full auto climate control and won't control fan speed or direct air.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats what I thought.

There is no longer any numbers on the dial and it just shows a hot (red dot) and cold (blue dot) and at the 12 o'clock position there is a picture of a thermometer.

Did they cheap out on the Climatic for 2011. Also noticed the same in the Golf and I think I looked at GTI with the same HVAC cluster.

Weird.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Mine does have numbers - 50ish, 60ish and 70ish at the left, mid-top, right respectively. (2011, bought Jan, built November '10 I think)

I LIKE not having set-and-forget heated seats, power hog!

Tell me more about this anti-roll-back for the 6M - not sure what you're talking about.
Speaking of the 6M - I like the indicator, but the Up/Down Shift suggestion arrows that show up are WAY too fuel-economy aggressive. If you shift precisely/close to where it recommends, you rarely exceed 2K rpm and usually reside in the 1300 rpm range (just above lugging the engine!!. Oh well, that's what most automatics do, I like that this is ONLY a suggestion!

I agree that the Bluetooth volume needs to be SUPER high to hear the other side. However I believe the Setup menu has a way to isolate volume settings per function (so your radio isn't blasting at the same high volume when a call ends!) Voice command is nigh unusable - very disappointing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
VW calls it hill hold. The brakes stay on for 2 seconds after stoping on a hill, to let you get the car going forward without any roll-back.
In the 6M? The 6-speed-Manual? The one with ONE clutch? And 3 pedals?

I don't observe any hill hold, sorry.

·
Registered
82 Posts
In the 6M? The 6-speed-Manual? The one with ONE clutch? And 3 pedals?

I don't observe any hill hold, sorry.
I'd be surprised if the JSW didnt' have the hill-hold feature, as my '11 Golf TDI does.

If you haven't already, stop the car on an inclined hill, put it in 1st, floor the clutch, and release the brakes. The brakes should stay activated and hold the car steady for 2 seconds, giving you enough time to goose the throttle, let the clutch up a bit and start rolling forward.

GREAT feature, and if it's not working on your car, then something's wrong.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Our 11 JSW has #'s on the temp dial...?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just test drove a 2011 Golf TDI and I noticed that there were no numbers in the Climatic's dials.
These cars are getting cheaper and cheaper by the minute...and I'm not talking about prices.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'd be surprised if the JSW didnt' have the hill-hold feature, as my '11 Golf TDI does.

If you haven't already, stop the car on an inclined hill, put it in 1st, floor the clutch, and release the brakes. The brakes should stay activated and hold the car steady for 2 seconds, giving you enough time to goose the throttle, let the clutch up a bit and start rolling forward.

GREAT feature, and if it's not working on your car, then something's wrong.
Indeed - I confirmed the presence of this feature, and NOW finally use it. Imagine, I went without using it because I didn't know it was there, for over 6-7K miles!

You learn something new every day (or every alternate visit to MTD!) :thumbsup

1 - 12 of 12 Posts