VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some creature comforts are expected to be found in cars nowadays. One such thing is that headlights will automatically switch off when the key is pulled out of the ignition.

There's such setting on US models as can be seen on this photo:

Well, Canada is special once again, as even the Golf Wagon Highline trim doesn't get it. There are just two settings (no "Auto") on the switch: On or Off.

When it gets dark you have to turn the switch on, and every time you leave the car you have to remember to turn it off or face the possibility of a dead battery in the morning.

vw.ca doesn't have a good photo of this switch, as I guess, they had to Photoshop out the US-model photo.

Now I have one more thing to do myself in the car to make it they way it was designed, and not what VW Canada marketing people decided it to be.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just noticed on the second photo above - those bastards forgot to Photoshop out the paddle-shifters from the photos of a Canadian-based model. If you look carefully, you'll see the paddle-shifters just barely sticking out from behind the wheel.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
I haven't seen it listed but I'm just going off what I've read and the 1st photo isn't of a US TDI because it has auto climate control.

2nd photo is disappointing. I do see paddle shifters. Strange that the headlight switch has no labels at all. Below is a pic of speedyj's headlight switch and it's a Canadian model. Both pics are definitely TDI because of the tachometer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The first picture is not a US spec Sportwagen.
It's a 5-speed gearbox, the seats don't match and like chittychittybangbang said, it has climatronic.
It's probably an Euro-spec golf variant.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
One of a laundry list of features that should have been standard and many more that should have been at least an option on Canadian models.

I know I likely sound like a broken record around here but seriously - what gives?

·
Registered
91 Posts
What is involved in adding the sensor? Do you have a part number? On other cars the sensor is on the rear view mirror.

·
Registered
19 Posts
No Automatic Headlights on US Models either

I just purchased a 2010 Jetta TDI SportWagon and it does not have auto headlights.

I checked with the dealer; here's his response:
"The "Automatic Headlights" feature is not available on the U.S. version of the Jetta. I'm not sure why it is pictured that way in your owners manual. I searched my inventory and it appears only the CC, Routan and Touareg come with that option. You have the Daytime Running Lights though, so you don't have to worry about not having your lights on when it gets dark. The only other purpose it would serve would be to keep you from forgetting to turn off your lights after driving. This is hard to do because by manually turning the switch, you are only turning on your interior lights and they are hard to forget to turn off."

I found a blog about the whole "auto headlight debate" here:
http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtests/2009/01/2009-volkswagen-jetta-tdi-lights-out.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts