VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this on another forum. I don't know enough to tell if it's the same as the old engines but the cutaways look pretty cool! I wonder if it'll come chromed like that, lol!

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Nice, it looks like it (edit) might be a V-band exhaust. This is a big plus. Hope it makes it to the factory setup.

Some differences that are obvoius are the common rail and moving the intake to the front. Everything else is small changes. The turbo is higher and they went back to a cylindrical EGR cooler. It looks like there's a major brace for the turbo which should help control all the weight hanging off the exhaust manifold. Still using a timing belt.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
What is a "v-band" exhaust? I have seen pictures of the 5th gen jetta tdi engine, it looks like the intake is in the front too.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
See how the turbo exhaust housing has no bolt holes or studs? A v-band is where they use clamps to hold 2 v-band flanges together. Upon closer inspection I'm not 100% sure about it because the flange is not v-shaped, it's flat, I just saw that it had no bolt holes. It might just be for show.

Here is an example. The 2 flanges are clamped by a t-bolt style clamp with a v inside which holds them tight. It's much easier to remove than bolts.

The later engines had a plastic cover with silver "runners" on the front but the intake has always been on the same side as the exhaust, on the back.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
that looks great, I hope it drives well! I can't wait for the new cars to come out I am thinking of getting one!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts