VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone
I am new to the world of VW, I have been a mechanic repairing Fords for 36 years so always drove Fords, this my first VW and I love it (2006 jetta TDI) I have a question, How long should it take to replace the timing belt on this vehicle? (fully equipped shop at my disposal) and has anyone used the new Goodyear belt kits, thanks

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Don't know about the goodyear but the links in the writeup are to vendors who sell oem equivalent kits. Some also make the OEM VW belts.

The worst thing is removing the motor mount. Other than that, it should go relatively quickly. 8 hours max if you run into complications. 4 hours if no problems and it's your first time.
welcometomyturbodies

Just make sure you replace the motor mount bolts and align it how it was removed and it will be fine.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Longer than it should. Someone else got a really cheap quote from the dealer because they only quoted changing the belt and not the whole thing. Make sure you change the water pump because it's on the timing belt and bad pump = do over. And make sure to use VW's G12 or Pentosin generic G12 and not Prestone coolant or else you'll end up with a nice brown mess in the coolant tank.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Anything done right takes longer than it should but done right is so rarethat you should be able to just enjoy that as the payoff.Just for general info sake I am not new to VW diesel but very much so to TDI VW.with that as the pretext to my inquirey,can someone explain the glowplug control circuit to me fully with respect to where the on time is actually controlled?

·
Registered
4 Posts
A PS to this request should go as far as to say since I rebuilt this engine(4000 miles) it has had a p0380 glowplug circuit code which results in short on time and on the quick power side check(coolant temp sensor disconnected )Ican lengthen glowtime so the relay is not dropping out.Also should mention 4 new plugs at rebuild.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry about the urgency of the request but it's my daughters car and the only thing worse than her having to walk is me not being able to help her when she needs it.thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
9,665 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
How long should it take to replace the timing belt on this vehicle?
You don't say which engine or code

1.9 - BKC, BMM, BLS, BRM, BXE - 2.5 hrs
2.0 - AZV, BKD, BMN - 2.90 hrs
2.0 - BMM - 2.5 hrs

So you are really talking 3 hrs. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts