VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i just bought a 2006 jetta tdi and was prepared to do a timing belt change and was looking for a good how to in here and it looks like i came to the right place.
however i wasnt prepared for the ratteling noise like a loose pully coming from the transmition end of this machine ? what the heck is going on here?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Hey, I have a package 2 as well, I love it.

One possible problem - bad alternator clutch pulley. There's an internal one way clutch. With belt off, if you jam the fan wiht a wood stick the pulley should freely turn one way and not the other. If it's bad, metalnerd.com sells a special tool to loosen the pulley.

Another possible problem, is it a DSG? Any shifting problems or vibration? If so, the flywheels are known to go bad.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i ordered the new fly wheel from dieselgeek he says this should be a perminate fix
i wasnt prepared for the 1000$ in repairs and downtime right off the bat but i want this thing to run forever so im not takin any chances with potential catistrophic failure

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Is it a DSG because the manual doesn't cover DSG removal :) I have one for sale that covers the 2005-2006 mk5 Jetta, send a PM if interested. There's a writeup for manual transmission removal in the FAQ and the DSG should have fluid cooler lines and maybe a few wires, otherwise very similar.

There's a writeup contest so if you document a procedure w/step by step pictures and instructions, it will qualify for the contest. The winner gets $50 e-gift certificate from the sponsor kermatdi.com , full rules and guidelines in the general forum. It's possible to remove the DSG flywheel without removing the axles or completely removing it, you just have to remove it, slide it as much as possible to the side, and then you should have enough room to pull it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts