VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read in your 1000q that Audi, VW, BMW, and Mercedes Benz all currently have multiple diesel models for sale in the US.

We're thinking about a new Golf TDI Wagon (I think for some reason it's still called the Jetta in the US) to replace the aging Honda minivan.

The TDI sounds too good to be true: fantastic fuel mileage and good reliability. What's the catch? Why is VW the only maker to offer this at a reasonable price here in good old North America?

·
Super Moderator
9,390 Posts
Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies
We're thinking about a new Golf TDI Wagon (I think for some reason it's still called the Jetta in the US)
I don't think so they do the Golf and Jetta in the States. They do a Jetta Wagon I don't know why they don't show the Golf Wagon? But your from British Columbia they have the Golf Wagon in Canada. ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what I've read, the Canadian Golf Wagon is the same as the US Jetta Sportwagon. Of course, being a newb, I stand to be corrected. I'm here to learn!

·
Super Moderator
9,390 Posts
You're probably right. I'm not sure of the international car terms in the UK its called an Estate car and we have all types here.

I would have thought the Golf and Jetta are two different cars they are here and over there? ;)

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Yep, in Canada it's the Golf wagon except for 2009 when it was the Jetta wagon.
In the US it's always been the Jetta wagon.
Worldwide it's called the Golf variant or wagon.

These are all the same exact car (except for the year-year small changes).

Clickman, here is the detailed buying guide for the wagons with year-year differences: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a6/2011-VW-sportwagen-TDI-buying-guide.htm

They are very good cars but my main complaints - no leather in the US and no xenon lights option. You asked in another post any problems - some newer TDI have fuel pump problems. Most of the time it's covered under warranty but there are some dealers who claim bad fuel was used. In that case it puts the claim on the fuel manufacturer instead of the car manufacturer. It's rare but the repairs cost many thousands of dollars to fix. Others have hiccuping which, my best guess, is related to the emissions tuning. Others have cars that run perfectly - you just never hear about it, you only hear the bad stuff.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So back to my original question: any idea why VW is the only "inexpensive" manufacturer of turbo diesels in NA? Why haven't Honda, Toyota, the General et al hopped on the bandwagon?

·
Registered
175 Posts
They have limited diesels but not in US spec cars. Their Honda civic is different from the US honda civic. Another example is the Ford fiesta - until this current car it was completely different than the Euro fiesta. VW has their TDI models ready to go. The other guys probably decided it wasn't worth the effort. Especially Toyota - they've invested in the prius, why would they support a competeing technology?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts