VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

We've got an 03 TDI that has started smoking (white) at cold (sitting overnight). This is accompanied with longer cranking than normal. I just put an interstate battery in it last year. The starting idle is sporadic for about 30 seconds, like it's missing. I'll be doing some maintenance to it this week (filters) and I needed to post before getting access to the site, ie I haven't searched too hard.
The red temp light also flashes when outside temp is cold (25F), but goes out after restart.
Thanks,
John

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
The first thing to do is to have the car scanned for codes to see why the temp light is flashing. That is not normal. Could it be possible that the coolant temp sensor is failing? Possible. It is a common failure and is located on the driver's side coolant flange. Unplug the sensor and see if that makes any difference.

Fuel filters and air filter/snowscreen are also possible causes. Some other things to check are the injection pump timing (see part 2 of ALH engine timing belt change) and timing belt last change.
welcometomyturbodies

1 - 2 of 2 Posts