VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2006 TDI Jetta. I am attempting to gather some much needed information about repair procedures on this car. Currently, the engine is locked. Happened when attempting to start after replacing the turbo. Engine fired, made a few thrashing noises, turned over only a few times and locked up tighter than a drum. I fear that it ingested something or coincidentally jumped time or carbon flaked off and lodged behind a valve or somthing. I'm not sure, but I believe the head is going to have to come off.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
I'd whip off the timing belt cover and have a look at the belt, also maybe take out the glow plugs and see if the engine wiil turn backwards or forwards by hand. I cant think how anything that big could get into the intake just trying to start it. Is it possible there's diesel sitting in a cylinder and causing hydrolic lock? maybe from a leaky injector. Is there any chance your old turbo spat loads of oil into the cylinders also causing hydrolic lock? That's all I can think of for now anyway. Hopefully nothing to bad though.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
2nd on Seatman's suggestions. You replaced the turbo because it was blown?

How many miles? When you replaced the turbo, did you leave rags in the intake? Maybe a tool or missing hardware ended up in the engine?

Carbon flaking off should burn off quickly. If you think the head is damaged one quick way to see is to remove the camshaft and look at each lifter (aside from the timing belt check).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2006 TDI Engine Locked

I pulled all the glow plugs hoping that it was hydraulic lock. It still wouldn't budge, even with breaker bar on the crankshaft. Car was running though down on power and pumping out heavy oil smoke at cruise. Inspection of the turbo shaft revealed excessive radial and axial movement (1.0-1.5 mm). Assumption was that bad turbo seal was allowing lots of oil to pass. Turbo had about 95k miles on it. I bought the car used. The long block was replaced under warranty at about 60k. I assumed timming belt would be good to go for just a while yet. I couldn't account for anything missing in the way of rags or hardware after replacing the turbo. Thanks

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Remove the lower splash shield and the crankshaft pulley. Then remove the timing belt covers. That will let you see the entire timing belt. There are pictures in the BRM engine timing belt writeup for 2005-2006 VW Jetta TDI of how it should look.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts