VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Day!
I bought a used 2006 Jetta TDI and I am loving it! Quite a change from my '94 Trans Am! (Glug, glug.)
A few problems seem to have cropped up, but I'll get them worked out eventually.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome.
First problem was that the wipers suddenly only went half way, shuddered then stopped. Any setting. When I switch off, then on again, they go to home position.
Second problem (same day, I might add) is that I pushed the clutch pedal to the floor and it stayed there. I pulled her out of gear, stopped off to the side, pulled the pedal back out, it goes in and out, but the clutch is engaged. I see no fluid on the ground or the engine guard, so suspect it might be the fork.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Lol...that happened to me before, it does sound like the fork. Is the reservoir full? If you're feeling brave, you can start it in first and jerkily start moving and rev match each gear to shift. It'll get you off the road at least. If you're really good you can drive home like that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I realized I could keep going, and I'm a master at clutchless shifting. But stop signs at the top of hills have me a little nervous... it's in my driveway now, pointed downhill. I could probably drive it to a local shop. I'm afraid an attempt to replace the fork may be out of my league, but the instructions here give me the confidence to try. I'm wondering whether to swap the 5th at the same time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ripped into the engine bay today down to the clutch slave cylinder. Pulled the bolts and stuck my finger in the hole. The fork is right there and happy. So am I. Although a new fork is only $23, ripping out the transmission is a little outside my comfort zone.
With my wife pumping the clutch, I held the slave cylinder in with my hands. If I can push the slave in by hand with the pedal on the floor something is wrong. Bleeding was useless. I got some fluid out (it wad a little thick, it seemed) and then no amount of pumping would move anymore fluid. Pumping the slave by hamd just gave me a gurgling sound. My guess is that the seal on the master cylinder is shot. If it was the slave, I would be covered in brake fluid, right? Should I replace both to cover all my bases? I'd hate to have to rip it all apart again.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Yes and no. The slave sounds OK if you remove the boot and there's no fluid there. The gurgling sound is air, sometimes you have to bench bleed these things to get all the air out.

There is currently no writeup for this so if you want to take pictures and share it would help everyone. It will also qualify for the writeup contest!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've had that thing in an out so many times that a photo dissertation would fill several volumes. Ultimately, I replaced the connecting hose from the reservoir to the master with a clear tube to see where the air is coming from. I thought it might be a leak at the reservoir barb, so I siliconed the outside, but still had gurgling. Put in the clear hose, bled, still no clutch. Ripped out the slave again, pumped it by hand in and out until all the air bubbles came out into the reservoir, and there did not seem to be anymore air in the system. The question I now have is: what is the throw on the clutch release lever? How deep should it be in the engaged (pedal released) position? It seems to be a little deep. It appears that the slave only moves it about an inch as it's already at half stroke when the bolts are released.
I'm this close to throwing in the towel and sending it to a professional. I want to do it myself, but am intimidated by the concept of tearing out my transmission in my driveway, even with the excellent how to pages with photos you have here. If I'm ripping it out anyway, I'm considering a 5th gear swap as well since most of my driving is highway.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I couldn't tell you the throw because when the slave is in place it's moving inside the slave and since mine is working I don't want to mess up the boot.

FYI, I've owned mk3, mk4, and mk5. The mk5 gearing is definitely a little taller than the others, check out the tire-gearing calculator on this site and it lists the ratios. I've upsized my tires which also effectively makes the gears taller and at this point I wouldn't do any gearing change. If you're on stock wheels-tires a gear mod might be worth checking out but do it for fun, not to save fuel. The cost for the parts won't be earned back, IMHO.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the suggestion. I need new rubber anyway, and I'd like a set of aluminum rims, too, so an up-size to a taller tire seems to be the cheapest way to go.
As for the clutch fork, I'll probably just end up trying to operate it with a push rod and cat's claw. I miss my 5L/100km... But then again, I just can't stall the 5.7L LT1 in my Trans Am :) like I can the diesel. :-O

1 - 10 of 10 Posts