VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  ltsrock 
#1 ·
Hello to the group. I just wanted to post a quick hello and introduction. I am the proud (original) owner of a 2003 Jetta GLS. What an awesome car!

Of course I'm looking through the group needing answers. My car has lost power and I'm pretty sure that the vacuum pump output is low, medium to hard brake pedal and a code of P-1556-35-00 charge pressure control. My VNT actuator holds a vacuum and the actuator moves freely, but when I measure the vacuum level it seems low and erratic. Anyone else with experience with this type of problem?

Thanks in advance and again, Hello to the group
Keith

#3 ·
Vacuum measurement location

Thanks for the reply. Sorry if I combined the introduction and question in the same post.

As far as where am I measuring the vacuum from, I am teeing into the small line right off of the vacuum pump that goes to the engine control system. Today I measured the vacuum while idling and driving and it doesn't go any higher than 6-7 in hg. Tomorrow I plan to remove and block off the large line to the brake vacuum booter and eliminate that as a possible source of leakage and test the car at idle. Thanks again for any insight or personal expierence that might help confirm my suspicions

#4 ·
Hi, welcometomyturbodies.
If that's the brake vacuum pump you're on about I've just been on another forum where they're disscussing the same thing. One thing is to check the pipe where it connects to the pump because they can perish underneath where you don't see it and the other thing is if the nozzle part that comes out the pump that the pipe connects to wiggles, try and fix it with some sort of stuff like super steel or arldite. I'm not sure what stuff is available over there but something strong and sticky like epoxy.

#5 ·
Yes I saw the post that you are referring to and have inspected the vacumm lines, both large and small.

If I have a leak, I suspect that the brake booster could be faulty. That's the reason that I plan to dis-connect and plug the booster line to rule that out. Thanks for the support and ideas. I will post up when I get this resolved.

#6 ·
Problem solved

Hey, I wanted to follow up on my vaccum problem. I completely isolated the vaccum pump, tested it and found that it was working fine, 17-19 hg vaccum. So I knew that it had to be a vaccum leak and I went off in search. As it turns out, I found a vaccum line off at the small dash-pot in approx the middle of the firewall. It's like the vaccum line somehow shrunk or!!!!! Anyway, I put the line back on and whoa-la, problem solved.

This car is simply amazing to say the least. Yes I have had to replace a few parts but nothing compared to all of my other vehicles (with fewer miles). If they only still made this exact car, I would buy another in a New York minute, lol

:thumbsup

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.