VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I've been reading and trying to absorb info from this site and decided it was time to join! I bought a 2004 tdi beetle for my wife. It had a bad leak in the plastic piping going to the intercooler which i finally found and fixed. Ran great for a couple of weeks but started noticing increased smoking and went into limp mode with alot of black smoke on acceleration. Took to local mechanic and the turbo is leaking oil and they said the shaft has alot of loose play. They want to replace turbo. I brought it home and have a little time to investigate the problems myself. What do you guys suggest? Hopeful for some good advice. I'm not a diesel mechanic, but I do farm and am always wrenching on something! I figure he's probably right, just want to make sure before I invest in a turbo and time to put it on.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
If the oil is going through the turbo and being burnt off then the turbo is probably Knackered but if it's leaking oil down the back of the engine it might be coming from somewhere else, there's quite often a bit of play on the turbo shaft and I wouldn't take that alone to right one off. The oil could be coming from the egr and dripping down there.:)

welcometomyturbodies

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
seatman

From what i see the oil is leaking down the back of the motor. Would you investigate just by taking apart and seeing what I find or what?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
The leaking down the back is probably loose valve cover.

Pressure test the piping, the intake piping clips are a known weak spot.

Gas mechanics often mistake the oil for a blown turbo, it's from teh crank case vent, settles in the low spots and pools. It is also possible of course that your turbo is leaking oil internally which means replacement.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Turbo ??? Troubles

Oil leaking down back from above turbo. I see a little oil on the oil line coming out of the bottom of the turbo but not much. Rest of turbo looks dry. Found a couple of air leaks on the tubing. One connecting tube to the top of the intercooler and the other leak seems to be coming from the tube on top where it comes out of the ??? EGR valve. When you rev it up you can feel the pipe getting alot of pressure on it. Mechanic said he felt end play on turbo but when I checked it I didn't. Didn't see where he had taken clamp loose so it makes me wonder

Went for another test drive and it took off great with boost and then went back to smoking and not running correctly. Kept accelerating and smoke eventually cleared up but no boost from turbo and no power! I'm lost and seriously feel like I'm going backwards. Maybe it is turbo, maybe something else.

Any Ideas?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
The oil leak could be a loose valve cover. Can you take pics? It would help explain what you're talking about. You said you found a couple of air leaks, did you fix them or not? I would start there. Does shutting the car off and turning back on reset power?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It seems to reset it, but for a very short time period. 2-3 seconds on acceleration then black smoke and turbo boost seems to go away. Initially it seems to be idling normal and doing good til u put a load on it.

I believe that i have fixed all the leaks in the piping except the one coming out of egr. Can't get it to stay in right. It wants to blow out to one side. I seriously don't think oil is coming from turbo. Does the actuator valve rod move down and stay all the way down right after you start it up. I thought it might vary but I guess I'm wrong. Checked plug going into actuator but wires look ok. Intercooler and piping has some oil in it but not a huge amount. Just a film of oil and where it settles.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
It should vary, the more it moves the more boost you get, have you looked in the faq at the turbo? There's some vids in there showing how it works and you can also youtube vnt turbo, some good stuff.:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
watched vnt video. my actuator rod slides toward the actuator when first started at an idle, but when he revs it up for me, it stays in the same position. Would engine need to be under a load or would it move when just revved up while sitting still?

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Under load, that's when the turbo kicks in, I think there's a faq for testing the actuator with vagcom/vcds.:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts